PDA

View Full Version : fitting help

tuckermtn
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
need help identifying this fitting-

its on my end cap for my 8" membrane (memtek RO)

its a two piece coupling of some sort but it is not NPT- finer threads and not a standard size.

male end is on end cap and female is sweated on to a 1 1/2" copper pipe which feeds the membrane...

first photo is of "female" end with large nut on right hand side

2nd photo is of male threaded end...

any plumbers out there?

WMF
02-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Eric,
Thats a 1.5 inch copper union. If you need to replace it make sure to get a NIBCO brand union as they have finer threads and are rated at a higher pressure than most other unions. You will need to solder a NPT adapter to the half that screws in the end cap.
Last I knew Lowes had Nibco fittings and stocked the 1.5 inch unions $$.

Some of the factory Memtek Nibco unions were machined to use an O-ring but the replacements you get will be metal to metal and will work OK unless you have the ability to machine an O-ring groove.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
WMF has it right plus metal to metal is fine. Dont use Teflon or pipe dope on the seal surface. To make it eaiser to tighten and not tear things up use a small amount of PLUMBERS GREASE on the back side of the fitting shown and the nut. This will keep the copper from malling. Make sure that you also put a wrench on the other 1/2 of the fitting so you dont twist the solder joint

michelle32
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Eric you will probably need more heat than a regular home still torch puts out to get this soldered. If Lowes dos'nt have this granite group on stores street in concord will or FW webb I beleive theres one in Franklin. Keith