PDA

View Full Version : The Association is Alive!

Tanta K
02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, we make great Maple Syrup in Connecticut! We who care to join and help each other out, are known as MSPAC (some say it like Mashpack) and we have a website, www.ctmaple.org Tell us if you're sugrain' in CT and if you have questions and I'll spread the word that help is out there by way of this forum and see if I can get you some answers to those sticky questions!:)

markct
02-06-2010, 01:06 AM
yea i was glad to see we finaly were added to the list of forums for state maple associations! dont know why we were left out for so long, maybe just every other state asked and we forgot to? but regardless we are here now!

Tanta K
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I was asked at the January meeting at Sessions Woods to get us on here, so I added us. Us being MSPAC. I have added the link to Maple Trader.com onto our website, ctmaple.org and hope others who Sugar in CT will share and help each other out.

Cowhill as in Cowhill Rd. Clinton?

Tanta K
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Sorry I misread that last one, CROW hill, not COW. Anyway, snow day today, no school, no field trips, no sugaring. Think I'll change out some photos on the CT Maple Website so it doesn't get boring. During sugaring program yesterday when I asked "Where does your food come from?" a student responded, "Peapod!" :lol: Guess I've got some more teaching to do!

Logscaler
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
That sounds like Hamden / Cheshire. I was born and raised in Hamden, played softball, skied on the rope tow, and skated at Brooksvale Park for many many years. Good to see some mapleing going on there!

markct
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Sorry I misread that last one, CROW hill, not COW. Anyway, snow day today, no school, no field trips, no sugaring. Think I'll change out some photos on the CT Maple Website so it doesn't get boring. During sugaring program yesterday when I asked "Where does your food come from?" a student responded, "Peapod!" :lol: Guess I've got some more teaching to do!

yea its funny the name crowhill was something that i guess the old timers called the area years ago, never realy heard it used but my father talked of an old farmer that said the old timers he knew refered to the area as crowhill cause the crows would sit along the ridge, probably going back 150 years or more! but we used the name just as something different. but its funny how many folks misread it, alot think its crownhill, and one other person too thought it was cowhill like you! but anyhow its in northfield ct, mason hill rd which is right on the border of thomaston

valleyman
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi tanta,

Yeah,Im glad CT is connected to MapleTrader.com
Great group these folks at Mapletrader. I owe them a debt of gratitude for helping me get my little sugarin' operation going. This will be my 2nd year tappin in Ansonia CT.

I have a relative in Chaplin CT who runs Bats in Bedlam Sugar House whose an active member with the CT producers. I have yet to join but I will definitely become a member.

Tanta K
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Valleyman...I grew up in Seymour. I'm sure my teachers there never would have guessed I'd grow up to be a sugarmaker too! Bats of Bedlam...I put photos of that place on the MCPAC website!

Logscaler...the park is great! A hidden gem. My mother grew up in Hamden, my Uncles remember the ski rope, I do not. I do however remember skating a lot on the pond as a child and when in high school. I skated a few times this year already and usually skate a bit in between boils or when all my sap is frozen.

It's our 10th year doing the Maple Sugaring program and it grows each year. Started with 4th grade kids, now we teach all ages! Though we don't make the syrup in high volume, what we do make money wise all goes back into the educational programs.

www.brooksvale.blogspot.com for more about us....have a great weekend!

ctjim
02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
just checking in as a ct producer. been sugarin for about 4 yrs now and i just joined this year. great bunch of people in the association, and always helpful and welcoming to us new members.

markct
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
just checking in as a ct producer. been sugarin for about 4 yrs now and i just joined this year. great bunch of people in the association, and always helpful and welcoming to us new members.

yea thats one thing i have noticed about sugaring in general, not just the association, is there is very little snobbery among sugarmakers, the guy with 4000 taps on vac is just as interested in talkin sugarin with the guy boiling 12 taps on a cement block arch. seems many other simular operations the big guy cant lower his nose far enough to see the little guy

Tanta K
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Seems like I hear from many who say they appreciate the willingness of othes to teach them the craft. Let's keep spreading the sweetness in CT and show others the way we should be treating each other in all areas of life, with a little patience, just like we wait for that first boil to reach 219F!

markct
02-17-2010, 02:13 PM
well put! i have to say i have met some of the nicest people of all ages thru sugaring, and amazing how many other totaly unrelated to sugaring hobbies many of us have in common

wkies
02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Sweeten the pan down here in Stamford yesterday. Member of MSPAC for many years yet have never been able to attend the meetings. Hopefully one of these days i'll make it.

Please stop by if you're in the area.

Tanta K
02-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Would love to visit sometime soon. Might have to be after sugaring though..or if we finish before you. Each year...more and more call to request programs. Haven't advertised in the paper yet and we're already getting requests for our public day!

RyanFarms
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
First year as a member, still a private sugarhouse, but have thoughts of going public as we get the tap count up and secondary processes perfected!

Tanta K
03-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Membership in MSPAC has been one of the most fun "clubs" I've ever been to and though the season is short the friendships are for a lifetime! Any and all are ready to help you in your quest to increase your operation and keep it all fun. Just ask the folk who have been doing it for years and they'll give you a helping hand.

RyanFarms
03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I did not get much syrup this year, but had a few fun weekends in the sugarhouse. I have plans set for 2011. Do you know of anyone who leases trees in CT? I am ready for expansion, but am limited by access to only about 200 taps right now.

DaveB
03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I did not get much syrup this year, but had a few fun weekends in the sugarhouse. I have plans set for 2011. Do you know of anyone who leases trees in CT? I am ready for expansion, but am limited by access to only about 200 taps right now.

I have about 10 locations that I pick up sap from. Most of those came about from word of mouth or just asking someone. When I see a good group of maples, I'll stop and ask someone about them and most of the time they don't have a problem with me tapping. I've even had people walk up to me and offer their trees when they see me pumping.

I've also heard that the state will let you tap in state forests and that some producers already do. I've got my eye on a section of forest but I'm not ready to bring those in yet. If you have a state forest near Suffield or Granby, I would contact the Forester there and see about tapping those.

I'm always up for expansion so if you find someone in my direction that is too far for you, let me know!

Dave