PDA

View Full Version : Do I need brick?

Z/MAN
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Should I brick the sides and bottom of my ramp or is the 1" arch board that I ordered today enough to keep the heat in? I don't want to blue the stainless sides on my arch.
Paul

vtsnowedin
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Depends on what kind of arch board. Will what you have take having wood scrartched along it as it is added to the fire box. Or are you using oil ,heaven forbid? Brick has always done a good job. Insulation or arch board under the brick does a better job but leave out the brick and your insulation is at the mercy of your fuel.

Z/MAN
02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I plan on putting brick over it in the firebox, just wondering if I need the brick up the ramp where it will not get touched my the wood?
Paul

vtsnowedin
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I plan on putting brick over it in the firebox, just wondering if I need the brick up the ramp where it will not get touched my the wood?
Paul
I'd brick the ramp to. That way you can push coals and half burned wood ahead when you fire and not worry about what the tips are butting into.Careful not to push stuff up against the pans especially if any of your wood has nails in it.

Maplewalnut
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Paul

Famous last words. Wood will find a way to smash it. Even if you dry fit it they'll stay in place. You can get halfs at Zacharias in Estbg for around $1 each
Must be getting closer if your thinking about bricks;)