PDA

View Full Version : Picture of Float boxes for Waterloo/ Small

brocko492
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi,

Have recently acquired a Waterloo/ Small raised flue in 30'x 10' size I think it must have been made right about when they went out, ss welded construction. Does anyone have a picture of how the floats are setup? Also would anyone have anykind of literature on this, it is a reverse flow fron pan.

Thanks.

vtsnowedin
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
:o I can't help you on the floats but thirty feet by ten feet? now thats a rig. Your going to need to tap every tree in the county to feed it.

brocko492
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Typo, 30" x10' it should read...my bad.

farmall h
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
broko492, We purchased our 4 x 12 at a Bascoms liquidation auction in 1990. Brand new. It has the ss soldered pans. Prior to that we had a 30 x 10ft ( I believe). My neighbor bought it and it is still in use. You might be able to e-mail Bascoms and see if they have literature on it or try e-mailing Leader Evaporators (Randy) the Swanton,Vermont web site. They still deal with Waterloo/Small Bros. which I believe is owned now by Grimm. Last year I was able to have him fax me the bricking diagram for the Lightning arch which is most likely what you have. Good luck. Post how you make out.

Dave Y
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Lapierre/Waterloo/Small. Call Matt at Lapierre USA.

farmall h
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Dave Y, Waterloo/Small bros. is part of Lapierre?

Flat47
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
broko492, We purchased our 4 x 12 at a Bascoms liquidation auction in 1990. Brand new. It has the ss soldered pans. Prior to that we had a 30 x 10ft ( I believe). My neighbor bought it and it is still in use. You might be able to e-mail Bascoms and see if they have literature on it or try e-mailing Leader Evaporators (Randy) the Swanton,Vermont web site. They still deal with Waterloo/Small Bros. which I believe is owned now by Grimm. Last year I was able to have him fax me the bricking diagram for the Lightning arch which is most likely what you have. Good luck. Post how you make out.

Check the GH Grimm part.
Leader owns Grimm; and Bruce Bascom is a major share holder in Leader.
Waterloo/Small went wayward, and is best now addressed through Lapierre.

Flat47
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Dave Y, Waterloo/Small bros. is part of Lapierre?

Small Brothers merged with Waterloo in the mid '90s to form Waterloo/Small USA.
Then, Waterloo/Small USA hit hard times and Lapierre bought their rights.

farmall h
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you, Flat47. I couldn't quite recall the "family tree". Been a long time and never had to buy parts. Leader Evaporator must have had the literature for the Lightning kicking about. The date on the diagram which is hand drawn is 1982. Odd. Good info to know, Thanks again.

Flat47
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
To add more confusion:

Small Brothers and GH Grimm both made raised flue evaporators under the moniker "Lightning" but the two were never affliliated.

Haynes Forest Products
02-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Even more confusion My Lipaerre/Waterloo/Small from MaplePro was built in 2003 and didnt come with a manuel. Then MaplePro parted was with them and took on the CDL line. So my new pans from MaplePro for my L/W/S were made by CDL..........YIKES

PerryW
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a waterloo 3x10 built in 1989. here's a pic of my float, though I don't know if it's the same:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/WaterlooSapPanFloat.jpg

And this video show the box inside the pan that the float box hooks to and allows you to reverse the flow:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=MapleSapBoil.flv

vtsnowedin
02-05-2010, 05:38 AM
I have a waterloo 3x10 built in 1989. here's a pic of my float, though I don't know if it's the same:

That looks just like the float box on my older(1965) Grimm lighting built in Rutland VT. On mine the box is on the back of the pan and the preheater box sits acrost the top of the raised flues with a pipe to carry the "preheated" sap to the front of the pan. Dose your float fitting slide into U shaped slot in the top of the box? If so it's probably a complete knock off of this old proven design. Parts might even fit.