PDA

View Full Version : sap storage

40to1
02-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Would it be OK to use a NEW 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck (non-wheeled) trash barrel for sap storage?

The website gives no information about what kind of plastic they use. Anyone have any thoughts?

gator330
02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, yes it would and if you can pack snow around them it is even better.

Toblerone
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Rubbermaid stamps some of their commercial items as NSF#2 safe for food contact. The Brute (http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?categoryCode=waste&subCategoryCode=waste_brute_utility&rcpNum=2643-60&categoryCode_subCategoryCode_rcpNum=waste_waste_br ute_utility_2643-60) line of trash cans in gray, white, or yellow are all NSF#2. In fact the you can get the white ones with ICE ONLY stamped on it, so I know it's food safe.

As for the other cans, there is no guarantee what is in the plastic that was used to make it. We don't know if it's new plastic, recycled plastic, or even if the dye used to color it is food-safe.

I got my Brute cans at Lowes and at Sam's club. Well worth the money to be NSF#2 certified I think. (NSF#21 is not good enough, that's for waste storage only).

Bucket Head
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Interesting. What does the NSF stand for? Not too long ago there was a discussion on the garbage cans and almost everyone agreed that they should not be used. There was no mention of this stamping saying they were safe. Do these cans have HDPE stamped on them also? I was told the High Density Poly Ethylene plastic was the only food grade.

Steve

BoarsNest
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Here's a link to NSF. They certify for food safety. I assume that NSF#2 is a standard for food safety.

http://www.nsf.org/

Toblerone
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
from an erlier post of mine: rubbermaid brute waste cans..
... are Certified NSF #2 (http://www.techstreet.com/standards/NSF/2_1996?product_id=10424)? NSF #2 which says this:

"This standard covers equipment commonly known as "fabricated food equipment" (kitchen, bakery, pantry, and cafeteria units, and other food handling and processing equipment including tables and components, counters, shelves, sinks, hoods, etc.)."

Apparently NSF (http://www.nsf.org/) doesn't stand for anything anymore. This is from their website: "The letters in our organization's name do not actually stand for any specific words today. They were derived from our founding name dating back to the 1940s, which was the National Sanitation Foundation. Our name was changed to NSF International in the early 1990s when the National Sanitation Foundation and NSF Testing Labs were merged."

This is from their about us page: "NSF International, The Public Health and Safety Company™, a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, is the world leader in standards development, product certification, education, and risk-management for public health and safety."

DrTimPerkins
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Would it be OK to use a NEW 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck (non-wheeled) trash barrel for sap storage?

Unless it is specifically marked as food-grade (NSF#2 or some other certification indicating food-grade or water potable), it shoud NOT be used to store or transport sap in.....unless you really want to have a nice load of plasticizers, UV stabilizers, colorant, heavy metals and who knows what other kind of crap in your sap...and then concentrated in your syrup.

tomslusher
02-04-2010, 05:58 PM
So the 55 gallon plastic barrels used for laundry detergent that I used last year are bad to use for sap? I cleaned them with bleach. Everything tasted fine and I turned out alright (don't ask my wife that question).

Seriously, if they only have sap in them for a few days, is it really a problem?

thanks,

tomslusher

new guy here

johnallin
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
There is a thread - with no less than 67 replies!- on this topic in the sap handling, storage section of Maple Talk.

Look for "galvi. vs plastic tanks", it's a great read and covers lots of information on the topic.

KenWP
02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
So the 55 gallon plastic barrels used for laundry detergent that I used last year are bad to use for sap? I cleaned them with bleach. Everything tasted fine and I turned out alright (don't ask my wife that question).

Seriously, if they only have sap in them for a few days, is it really a problem?

thanks,

tomslusher

new guy here

Flip one over and raed the bottom. Lots of things get put in barrels with multi uses. Ones I got had lubricant for cutting tables in a meat plant. Big white ones.

Bucket Head
02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Tom,

What does the label say? Is the soap hazardous? Are you sure nothing was in them after the soap but before you got them? A lot of questions need to be asked before storing sap in anything.

I'm glad your sap/syrup tastes fine, but plastic is porous and you might have traces of soap in your syrup. Just not enough to smell or taste.

If anyone is going to use used barrels, its better to get ones that had a food product in them. Most "reconditioned" barrel suppliers have both food grade and non food grade to choose from. You just have to be careful of strong odors and flavors that do not wash out of certain barrels. Your sap ends up smelling and tasting like whatever the "strong" ingredient was in that barrel.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Guys if you are looking for cheap plastic tanks go take a look at Bascom's catolog. They sell their used 55 gallon plastic syrup barrels for 20 bucks. You know what was in them and if they are using them I would have to believe they are food grade. Page 20 item # DPL55U and no I have no affliation with Bascom's

40to1
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Unless it is specifically marked as food-grade (NSF#2 or some other certification indicating food-grade or water potable), it shoud NOT be used to store or transport sap in.....unless you really want to have a nice load of plasticizers, UV stabilizers, colorant, heavy metals and who knows what other kind of crap in your sap...and then concentrated in your syrup.

So, I'll put you down as "undecided"....

LOL....
Thanks for spelling it out so clearly. It's appreciated...
Just ordered two 30-gallon food-grade barrels.

maplecrest
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
i f you went to your local dairy that packs milk they also pack orange juice and the consintrate comes in 55 gallon food grade drums and they are always looking to sell them at a fair price