PDA

View Full Version : Healing time if I pull now

Groves
02-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey Folks,

As a residential city-tree tapper, I must get permission on virtually every tree, though sometimes a person has two.

It's on occasional situation where someone will give me permission, but a few days later rescind it, usually worried about their tree health or their tree trimmer guy said "no".

So this happened two days ago, and I gladly pulled the tap, but I didn't know what to tell the guy as far as healing rates. I assume it takes longer to heal in the winter than it does when I usually pull the taps (at the end of the sap season).

Any thoughts?

It pains me to think of all that sap running to the ground and not being collected. I think the wound to the tree was already over with when I tapped it, and pulling the tap isn't keeping the sap in of course.

I don't want to plug it, either.

mapleack
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Trees don't heal in the winter, they aren't growing. Tap holes heal in the may, june, july growing season.

Groves
02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I think when I said "heal" I meant "healed enough for sap to stop flowing".

I assume that you're saying that the tree will flow sap out of that hole as long as the sap is still flowing.

mapleack
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, that tap hole will run sap pretty much the whole time any of your other taps are running.

Toblerone
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Once tapped, I think it's probably healthier for the tree to leave the tap in and collect the sap rather than let it drip down the tree and onto the ground where is could attract all sorts of bugs, bacteria, fungus, animals. I suppose you could plug it with a rubber stopper to prevent that. Just make sure to remove it once the tree starts to bud. The tree won't do any healing until after the sap stops flowing anyway. Good luck.

H. Walker
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Just an idea but would searing the hole with a small torch or soldering iron stop the flow of sap? Or, would it do more harm than good?

Jeff E
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I would not want to torch the tree. Let it heal naturally. I agree, once the tree is tapped, it is best to keep the tap in for the 6-8 weeks of sap flow, keep mess controlled.

Being able to communicate the healing process to the owner when asking permission may help eleviate fears that come up later.

The only reason I would think to not tap responsibly is that the tree is a saw log tree and they don't want to lose the first 5' of tree.

PerryW
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
It will just run on the ground and be wasted. Might as well explain this to the owner and rehang the buckets.

Dill
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I would not want to torch the tree. Let it heal naturally. I

The only reason I would think to not tap responsibly is that the tree is a saw log tree and they don't want to lose the first 5' of tree.
Which if the trees are roadside or "residential" trees the mill isn't going to touch them anyway due to nails, treehouses, bird feeders, hinges, or any other piece of metal that might be in there.

Bucket Head
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Just let the tree "run out". Don't do anything to it. Do not put anything in the hole. Let it heal itself naturally, in time.

Its too bad the owner has changed his mind.

I too would try taliking to him again and explain what is really happening with the tree. Who knows what incorrect info has been fed to him. Do you have a Producers Manual? Show him the tapping chapter. Let him read for himself that no damage is taking place. You have tapped other trees in this neighborhood last year? Offer to take him to one of the "cooperating" neighbors and show him the healed tap holes from last year. Maybe hearing from some of the cooperating neighbors will help.

Good luck.

Steve