PDA

View Full Version : Question for PA guys

stifflej
02-04-2010, 08:42 AM
This will be my first year trying, and have been looking through some publications, and some states have maple days, where you can visit some sugar houses, see how they work, and talk with experienced sugarers, does PA offer anything like that, and if so, can you send me in the right direction for info?

Thanks.

mapleack
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
StiffleJ, As a whole, Pennsylvania sugarmakers are not nearly as organized (as a group) as other states. I know the Northwest assoc has a "2010 taste and tour will be held march 20 and 21 from 10am to 4 pm for more info visit http://www.pamaple.org/" Though those are all people too far for you. I also belong to the Somerset County assoc, but i'm not sure if they are having an organized weekend this year. That being said, I'd be more than happy to show you our operation and answer any questions that I can. I love any excuse to talk maple!
-Andy

Dave Y
02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I am located outside any consentration of maple producers so therefore I never sign up for the Taste and Tour. But if you would like you are more than welcome to come by my place. I have a brand new rig and am more than happy to show it off!

Jim Brown
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
We,like Dave Y are off the beaten path.But we also would welcome you any time you are in the area.Send us a PM and we will get you directions from were you are to us!

Jim

Maplewalnut
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Welcome any time here also but as others have said the highest concentration of producers is Northwest 'corner' of the state and northern tier (Bradford/Tioga etc. counties)

Mike

The Dude
02-04-2010, 04:44 PM
stifflej,

Shaver's Creek Environmental Center near State College, PA has an annual maple festival with tours. I went a couple years ago. I'm not sure if the tour includes a look inside the operation, but I bet you could go for a look on some day a few weeks before the festival when they're actually doing the work, since they are a group geared towards public education. By the way, if you decide to go to the festival for the pancake breakfast, be ready to stand in a line for 1-2 hours that wraps around the building. It's a LOT of waiting and standing for 10 minutes of eating. It is a very popular event.

Tom

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Stifflej- I don't know exactly where you are in central PA but there are a lot of sugar camps here in Somerset county that you could tour. They range from small up to 10 or 15 thousand tap operations. There is a maple festival here too, but it isn't geared as much toward maple production as it should be.

upsmapleman
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Stifflet,

In Tioga and Potter counties we have maple weekend March 27th and 28th, 10 to 4. If you PM me I will send you a brochure . Also they have a web site
WWW.pamaple.com This year there are 14 houses on the tour. You can see all the maple you might want to see.

bix
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
The Troy Maple Festival is held on Saturday, April 24 and Sunday, April 25 at the Troy Fair Grounds in Troy PA, Bradford County.

Does any one use a oil fired burner? If so do you know how much fuel oil my evaporator which is a 2x8 would burn per hour? Thanks, Bix

Gary R
02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
If your looking to learn more about producing, I would recommend not going to a "Maple Days" event. I think most of those are geared to the consumer. A producer is not going to have a lot of time. Where are you located? PM a local producer. Visit on a cold day:) . I've visited a dozen sugarhouses in the last 3 years. No one ever said "no you can't come". They are a friendly bunch.

Dave Y
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes Gary and you keep coming back:)

KenWP
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
And do not go on a day they are tapping ot stringing tube or cutting wood as they will have you working in second flat. If they are boiling you could be carrying sap or wood or both.

Turtlecreek
02-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Where are you located? I'm in union county, there are two of us in the county that I know of, myself and paddy mountain. We are both back yard producers, if I can help let me know and I'm sure paddy would do the same.