PDA

View Full Version : Converting to oil

Brent
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking of converting my wood fired 2 x 6 raised flue to oil for 2011. When I asked Patrick Phaneuf he said I should sell mine and get a new one. Is a conversion that
difficult ?

syrupkid
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
its not that its that difficult its that with the smaller firebox on your wood fired arch the oil will not combust as well as in a normal oil fired firebox it still can be done many people have already done it with fairly good results but for the best results get an oil fired arch or you could just keep your wood fired arch and find a sawmill, custom sawmill operator, window or cabinet factory, or another business that would have alot of extra wood scraps my mom works at a window factory and this season i probably got almost a full cord of scrap wood for free they give alot of it away to people just for the asking

Brent
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I found just the guy today ... for wood.

3000 bush cords ... seasoned over 1 year, 4' lengths.
and he'll cut them in half for me and split, maple and beech, at a decent price.

But next season I'll be 65 and 6 bush cords is still a lot of slugging for me and my wife, not to consider we heat the house with wood and provide some to our neighbours that let us tap their bush.

Oil is looking pretty good.

syrupkid
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
may be a stupid question but what is a bush cord here all we have is face cords and full cords a face cord beind 16"x4'x8' and a full cord being three times that 4'x4'x8'

Brent
02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
a bush cord = a full cord 4' x 4' x 8'

you will find different standards for face cords
some are 16" deep making it 1/3 of a cord
lots are 12" deep making it 1/4 of a cord

KenWP
02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
He's almost 65. It could be one of those old timer things. Probbably a cord of wood that is piled in the woods in longer lengths. When you break them down in size they take up less room.