PDA

View Full Version : Stack pipes and steam pipes

maple ridge tappers
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey folks, my new sugarhouse is framed up, and ready for steel. It's going to be great boiling inside this year.
My question is- what are the guild lines for stack pipe, and steam pipes heights? As I travel around the country side, I notice several sugarhouses with very tall stack pipes.
I need to order these pipes soon, and any info, as always would be greatly appreciated.

smitty76
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Maple ridge, for the steam pipe all you want is to just get higher that the ridge cap. There is no heat out there and the steam condenses in the cold pipe and runs back down to the pans. As far as chimney stack, if you have forced draft just out of the roof jack and your good, but if you are useing natural draft(which by the way is fine) you have find that a taller stack(6 to 8 feet higher than the roof) works better. That is my 2 cents, hope it helps and congrats on the new sugar house.

Have fun and good luck

Smitty76:D

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
You want the smoke stack high enough that when the wind blows it doesnt get sucked down into the sap shack from turbulance off the roof. Get it high so its gone in a mild wind. I second the short steam stack to eliminate condensate drip back

H. Walker
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
The minimum height of a smoke stack is 2 x the length of the arch.

vtsnowedin
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
The minimum height of a smoke stack is 2 x the length of the arch.
Yes but thats a guideline not an absolute rule. It is what comes standard with a new rig or used to anyway. Like a chimney the top of the stack needs to be at least three feet above any part of the roof within ten feet of it. Not a problem with a rig in the middle of the sugar house. Then there are sugar houses that set in a hole or near a hillside bank that blocks the wind. They need more stack to get up above the trees to get a good draft. Start with twice the lenght and add on or take off as experience teaches.

Dave Y
02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
If you have forced air the flue stack height is not important. How ever if you have natural draft the flue stack should be at least 1.5 x the length of your arch for optimal draft,higher wont hurt.

H. Walker
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes but thats a guideline not an absolute rule. It is what comes standard with a new rig or used to anyway. Like a chimney the top of the stack needs to be at least three feet above any part of the roof within ten feet of it. Not a problem with a rig in the middle of the sugar house. Then there are sugar houses that set in a hole or near a hillside bank that blocks the wind. They need more stack to get up above the trees to get a good draft. Start with twice the lenght and add on or take off as experience teaches.

That is kind of what I said 2 x the length is "Minimum" you can always add more. I've never seen where you could use less, but I see and learn something new every day!!

maple ridge tappers
02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
What about material? I know that stainless is about twice as much as galvanized, but can galvanized be used for steam pipes or should you use stainless or aluminum?

smitty76
02-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Maple Ridge, both my steam pipe and stack are galv and have been for 17 yrs without any problem. I have replaced them once though. not bad for 17 yrs.

Smitty76

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2010, 06:59 AM
There is an Amish guy in Myersale, PA that just made a complete 10" stack including base stack for a Waterloo 2x6 and the total price was just over $ 200. It was for Larry Harris who is a member on here. I will post his info if anyone is interested. Might be worth the drive down. He made my hood and Larry Harris' hood also along with my reheat pan, steam roof jack center mount for $ 46. My 16 x 34 reheat pan with 18" sides was less than $ 50 stainless.

My 4' sections of 10" steam stack SS was $ 30 a few years ago from him.