PDA

View Full Version : Cold Fronts

jmbinventions
02-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Cold fronts keep bombarding us with below freezing days for a week at a time, when do you plan to tap to get maximum flow time from holes?

jmbinventions
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I put one test tap in on monday and only have 1/2 gallon since then, the 15 day forecast predicts a cold february, I live in southeast pennsylvania about 30 mins from Philidelphia and it gets warm fast. I dont want to miss a drop with only 25 taps to play with.

Dennis H.
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Good luck.

I am just west of Harrisburg and we also get really big swings in temps and when it does go warm it will most likely stay warm.

This has been a colder than normal year for us I think. I put in my taps just over 2 weeks ago when we had 40's and 50's. I made a gal of syrup so far. Now I am in waiting mode till we get the right temps.
With all this cold though it will take a few days to thaw things out so my short answer would be wait till yo see about a week of above freezing temps till you even think about tapping.

Good Luck.

Turtlecreek
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up. As soon as I see warm weather comming I'll tap in. I'm kinda glad that I did not tap the other week, I really hate freeze ups it just seems to take the wind out of m&t sales

mapleack
02-05-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm tapping everything next weekend, even though it's gonna be cold. Average first boil for us is around Feb 20th. I'll have the taps in, tanks washed and be ready for BIGSAP by then. (I hope, lots of work to do!)

jmbinventions
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I am going to tap on thursday I think, looks like 37 and sunny days and 25 nights. Need to start tapping before I explode, I feel like I have been waiting to tap for months.