PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Quick Couplings

Amber Gold
02-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Will the couplings on air compressors to to connect/disconnect tools work under vacuum? I'd like to easily check vacuum levels at various points around my system and don't want to buy a bunch of vacuum gauges. I'd rather have a quick disconnect and run around with one gauge.

Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
The spring loaded valve is in the wrong way for vac and will open under HIGH vacuum. There is companys that sells instant ports for differant applications that look like quick connects and they can walk up push the guage down on the port and it will read it.

Now a poor mans way of doing it is to get a small plastis ball valve install on the bottom of the mainline and screw in guage and open BINGO..........plus it can work as a drain later.

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Oops Oooppps

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I would like to be able to check vaccum at different places throughout my grove too. I was thinking about installing multifittings in my mainlines at various points where I want to check vacuum. Then I would attached a short piece of branchline about 4 or 5 inches long with a leader 5/16 quick disconnect. The other end of the disconnect would have a cap over it. I would then take a vacuum guage and put a barbed fitting on the bottom going to 5/16, then a leader 5/16 disconnect. When I wanted to check vacuum, I would go to the multifitting in the mainline, remove the half of the disconnect with the cap, abd hook up the vacuum guage disconnect. Has anybody ever tried anything like this?

Homestead Maple
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I've used an inline tee that has a 1/2 inch pipe adapter and reduced that with a 1/8x1/2 plastic adapter. Then install a brass tank valve that threads into the adapter. Remove the core from the valve and test there. The cap that comes with the tank valve works both ways to seal the vacuum or water pressure when you wash.
1 - plastic tee $1.80
2 - Hose clamps $2.40
1 - adapter $ .69
1 - Tank valve $2.75

You might even be able to find a valve that is twist open/shut. Some larger tire valves have this capability and they are either 1/8 or 1/4 pipe thread. Just a thought if you didn't want to spend $10+ for a gauge plus the fittings to install it inline.

Amber Gold
02-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1X361

Homestead Maple
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1X361

Yes. Excuse me I should have said 'air' tank valve. The ones I got from Sanel auto parts have a metal cap with a gasket inside but these will work.