PDA

View Full Version : when to tap

jordy95
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
when is the best time to tap in midcoast maine thanks.

tessiersfarm
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm a little further inland but I never got much sap before march.

davrhods
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
past 3 years not much happened till mid march

maple flats
02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
best time to tap is when you AND the trees are ready. Watch the weather. After a cold spell it takes a few days of warm if it is only a few degrees above freezing but if it gets way up in the mid 40's or more it may start much sooner.

Revi
02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Midcoast Maine has a lot of days in the 40's before us, but those chilly sea breezes could kick in. I think I'd start to look at the weather around the last 2 weeks of February. If it looks good, tap.

The season starts a couple of weeks earlier in Southern Maine, and the midcoast can't be too different. I noticed that Rockland is always at least a couple of degrees warmer than us. I think that will give you a couple of weeks advantage.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Jeremy,

Something wrong with this picture. You are tapping already and will probably be done before I start and I am 1200 miles south of you. LOL!

gmcooper
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Jeremy,
Good luck with everything this year should be interesting for sure! Talked with your dad last night. Are you trying the check valve spouts this year?

With 2400 taps I would be starting soon as well.

Brandon, I was at Bascoms last week and they had tapped a bunch already.
Mark.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I know the big guys have probably already been tapping for a while. Don't normally see too many guys Jeremy's size tapping before me though. LOL! Oh well, we'll see what happens. Maybe we can have one of those full crops in 10 days year.

gmcooper
02-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Jeremy I understand the time factor. Eric is doing a good job getting ours changed but it is slower than we thought.
Mark

JuniperHillSugar
02-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Hello All,

We tapped three red maples yesterday to try to gauge the season's real go date. Light run of 2.5% from the reds, we wish that would continue from them..

I'm watching the folks who really know what they are doing before getting out the drill. It's almost like fishing, don't set the hook too early, have patience, yea right.

Good luck for the upcoming season.