PDA

View Full Version : surge milk releaser

Brad
02-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey guys, I came acrossed a surge releaser today, but its not mechanical its electric. It has a pump attached to the bottom of it. Is it possible to wire this up for sap? Could someone explain how?

Thanks Brad

farmall h
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Brad I am not familiar with these but I think it works on vacuum just that it pumps out to the milk tank. I think this would work better 'cause you would have constant vac to the trees.
Can you post a pic?

Brad
02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
From what I can see there is a metal prob in the glass instead of a float. It has a wire on the top of the prob that goes to an electrical box. I think what happens is when the milk touches the prob it completes the circut and turns on the pump thats attached to the bottom of the glass. There is alot of wires and relays in that electric box I have know idea what they are. well I paid 50 bucks for the whole system. I'm thinking that still a good price for the pump alone. For this year I'll just look for a machanical one. Thanks for the help. I'll have to figure out how to post pics. It sure would help here.

caseyssugarshack93
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
i know of a video of one used for sugaring, Let me go get the link

caseyssugarshack93
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
heres the link to one of my buddies sugarhouse using a surge electric reviever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Juc_-ZM04

hope this helps

farmall h
02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Brad from the sounds of your descripion of the probes, it sounds like what you have is a pipeline milking receiver. You could make yourself a heck of a releaser with that unit. Yes, when the jar or ss tank (w/probes) fills to a given level the pump is turned on. Check the voltage on the pump...maybe 208v 3 phase.
My folks have a set up like this in their milkroom...not too complicated.

Brad, yes that is it in th glass version. Ours in the milkhouse is stainless. Thanks Nate!

tstew
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Brad $50 for pump alone is a good deal most of those pumps are stainless with stainless impeller. Pump motor alone on some of those models without the pump assembly $300-350.

Brad
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, it's the same glass one as in the video. well now I know it will work. I think i'll call the neighbor down the road. He's an out of work electrician. maybe he could wire this up. The pump has a stainless steal head on it.
I'm sure the impeller is also ss. The Pump is stamped 230 volts. When I took it out of the barn there was only three wires on it. I don't think it could be 3 phase could it?

waysidemaple
05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I have this same setup, any luck getting it wired up?

maplecrest
05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
when i sold my cows i tryed to make that work for sap. i used the receiver and pump 'delaval' and worked fine at 15 inches but as you increase vac the pump will not over come the vac with out shutting the vac off to the releaser or get a pump big enough to over come the higher vac

TF Maple
05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I still have the glass jar and metal probe from my surge milking system too and wish I could use that somehow. I also have a cube cooler in the ceiling that I want to take down and see if it would make a good preheater.

waysidemaple
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
maplecrest, If you still have yours wired up could you take a picture of the inside of the box where the probe and pump wiring is. I have no idea how to wire this up id like to give it a try and see what it does before I go another direction for vacuum next year. the probe has three wires but I don't know which one is for the short probe and which are for the long probes thanks

maplecrest
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
well what i did was take the probes and the control box and took a vac tank and put the probes in the middle of the vac tank were the adagitor was and put the pump from the releaser on the drain port of the tank.and that pumped to a tank in the sugar house. but higher vac started issues that i gave up on that system ,but it still in place just like the day i gave up on it. i can take a pic and send it to your email.