PDA

View Full Version : homemade syrup filter

syrupdreamer
02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
anyone tryed to build a syrup filter made from a house water filter? they have a cloth filter inside that is very cheap to replace. i was thinking of using a pump to push it through two of these in line and hope it would work. any feedback would be great. thanks

Brent
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
The sugar sand would plug up in very short order. As a wild guess I would say after 1 or 2 gallons. Compared to the paper, wool or orlon filters made specifically for syrup, and can be washed and re-used, I think they would come out MUCH more expensive. Besides, most water system filters do not go down fine enough for sugar sand.

LEROY MILLER
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I just saw one of these the other day, it was a inline canister type filter with agear pump attached with a hose and it was ran with a electric drill .the pump pulled the syurp through the filter .i think its a pretty good idea myself.

farmall h
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Hhhmmmmmm. I wonder. Set one up syrupdreamer.

wcproctor
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
i use it for sap only and it helps with the small stuff before the boil

farmall h
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Filtering the sap with one sounds more reasonable.

jrthe3
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
there was a guy on here who made one but he used a stainless steel screen filter that could be washed and reused but he used ari to push syrup threw if you search you will find it

here is the post if you look in his photos you can see picks of it
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=4472

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Pulling the sap thru has its problems because as the filter clogs you will lose all filtering because the air pressure cant overcome it. Gear pumps are as strong as you can get but you need to pump it thru. If I was going to try and push it thru a canister filter I would still use filteraid.

PerryW
02-01-2010, 09:45 PM
There is not much surface area on those water filter canisters, so the nitre would plug them up fast. Also, they would seem difficult to clean and recovering any of the sugar from the filters would be impossible.

I would guess they may work is you ran the syrup through a paper prefilter first, since the paper removers the vast majority of the nittre.