PDA

View Full Version : bulk syrup and how to sell it?

smitty76
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I am new to bulk and am interesrted in finding out who to sell to and what packaging is good? Is 5 gallon normal or is 55gallon?
Any help would be good.

Thank you.:confused:

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Bulk syrup is usually sold in containers of 5 gallons or larger. If not yet, food grade will probably soon be mandatory so keep this in mind when searching for containers. I have seen bulk syrup arrive at the buyers in about anything. Old milk cans, brand new 5 gallon gas jugs (food grade gasoline of course), 15 gallon, dairy detergent containers, tofu pails. If you are a small producer you are probably best to consider smaller containers. No point in adding grade b to medium amber and downgrading the whole batch to a lower price. As far as buyers in your area, ask the local maple dealers. They usually have a handle on who is buying bulk syrup.

smitty76
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
how do I find local maple dealers?:(

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Check the big catalogs or web sites. They list their dealers and their addresses. You can also contact big buyers like Maple Grove or Bascoms. They often have people in the field buying for them.

smitty76
02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you thompson's, I appreciate the info.;)

3rdgen.maple
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Smitty I sell my mersh to Bascoms. I get the 5 gallon blue containers from them for 11 bucks and when they take the syrup they give you back a container. I think us NYers should get together at the end of the season and truckpool up there instead of all of us driving. Just a thought. I have shipped it to them in the past as well with good results. Oh yeah almost forgot I do believe newyork maple producers association buys as well get to their website and it just might say if they do or not. You might have to be a member but that is not a bad thing either.

smitty76
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks 3rdgen, I am looking into it right now.:)