PDA

View Full Version : using jugs over again ?

Codeman
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I have some jugs used once, is it appropriate to wash them with hot water and use again, or is that a no no ?

Codeman

farmall h
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I suppose it is ok for your own personal use.

brookledge
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
not a good practice, as you can't control or know if anything else was in the jug. You are the one that has to insure the quality of your syrup so if you are sure about the jug then it is ok.
I sometimes will acept jugs back from customers but I throw them out many times. I think some feel they are being more enviromentaly conscious.
Keith

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I have some jugs used once, is it appropriate to wash them with hot water and use again, or is that a no no ?

Always use a new container unless it is for your own personal use.

KenWP
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I used lots of different things for my own use. To sell it has to be nice new stuff. I worked for a multi national food company and how things look is half the battle the rest is food saftey.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I reuse all of the containers given back to me. I run them thru the dishwasher a couple of times and have been doing this method for years. I don't sell syrup in them, just use the for personal use or for the 15+ gallons of syrup I give away to people whose trees I use or helpers. None of them mind getting a recycled jug and the jug just smells like syrup and a new jug smell after it is washed in dishwasher. No problems at all with any residue or off flavor.

Bucket Head
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I would reccomend using a new jug. People bring them back to me but I just put them in the recycle bin. I would rather play it safe and not give an unclean jug or one that might not have had all the detergent rinsed out. For personel use you could do what you want I guess, but a new jug is cheap insurance against someone getting off flavored syrup and inturn giving you a bad rap. If your selling it, a used jug is unthinkable. Don't do it.

I recall a story told to me by an apple cider producer about some other cider producers that got their "hands slapped" because they were refilling customers used jugs when they came in for refills. They were told there was no way to verify what else might have been put in the container or if it had been cleaned. They changed their ways pretty quickly after being reprimanded.

This is a good example of how we maple people need to police ourselves. I don't want my hand slapped and you probably don't either.

Steve

wcproctor
02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
If a friend shows up on Boil day and has his own bottle and wants a refill do it

Dill
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
What about reusing metal containers? My father is the only one who gets 1/2 gallon metal jugs from me. Can they be reused? I figure the seal won't reseal, so refrigerate only?

PerryW
02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
metal containers seem to be prone to rusting, especially if the container has been opened and partially used.

Big_Eddy
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Ontario regulations require new containers for all sales under 4l (1 Gal) but do permit reusing containers over 4l.

We wash and reuse the same bottles for family use - sales get new bottles. If a friend brings his own bottle, I'll fill it for him, but only for his own use.

red maples
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't use jugs broght back to me you never know.

But I do save all the jugs that I use. as soon as they are empty I wash them and save them to refill but I only use them for myself and mark them that way as well. For all sales I use only new jugs.

maple flats
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Even if you know the person returning the jug, don't chance it. Either buy mistake or for some sick reason, there was something undetectable in there you would still be liable. The remote chance of a law suit isn't worth it, not to mention that a problem could affect the entire industry. Buy and only use new jugs for sale, personal use, OK.

Maplewalnut
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Everyone says personal use OK. Lets clarify, for me I recycle my own jugs for a few years for my own table use. Never will I convert a jug given back to me by a customer for my own personal use. I politely thank them, take back the jug and throw it in the recyclable container with the milk and orange juice jugs. If there is ever a question, my kids health is alot more important to me than my customers health! USE NEW JUGS

Dill
02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Just thought of something. I have been canning syurp in Mason jars for sale the last couple years. And I have been offering a 2 dollar discount if the jar is returned. But those jars are run through a wash then a boiling water soak, and a new lid is used. I guess that's one advantage of glass. Looks like I'm going to plastic this year, and I agree those are getting recycled.