PDA

View Full Version : We have had 4 good runs

gmarvin
02-01-2010, 09:34 AM
We tapped just a few trees on the 15, about 50 taps now and have had 4 short but good runs. Mostly sugar and a couple of reds.Will tap another 50 or more this week.

220 maple
02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
gmarvin,
I have often wondered why someone was not tapping the trees in the Rawlings Spring area? I live in Harrisonburg I have a camp in WV. I have crossed Shen. Mt. so many times I could probably do it blind folded, that being said, every trip I seem to spot another sugar tree, Some I'm sure is on city property the others on National Forest. I had a friend check at the Ranger Station in Bridgewater to see if he could lease the Nat. Forest trees like guys in Pa. and other states. They said that they would not allow it. I feel sure if someone would put some pressure on them they would have to treat everyone equally. They are sugarmakers on here that lease Nat. Forest Trees. Good luck on this season it should be a good one with all the snow.

Mark 220 Maple

gmarvin
03-13-2010, 05:38 PM
gmarvin,
I have often wondered why someone was not tapping the trees in the Rawlings Spring area? I live in Harrisonburg I have a camp in WV. I have crossed Shen. Mt. so many times I could probably do it blind folded, that being said, every trip I seem to spot another sugar tree, Some I'm sure is on city property the others on National Forest. I had a friend check at the Ranger Station in Bridgewater to see if he could lease the Nat. Forest trees like guys in Pa. and other states. They said that they would not allow it. I feel sure if someone would put some pressure on them they would have to treat everyone equally. They are sugarmakers on here that lease Nat. Forest Trees. Good luck on this season it should be a good one with all the snow.

Mark 220 Maple

I am sorry I did not see this post till now as the computer was out for awhile.
I like that idea, tapping in the National Forest! That would give us a boost in production. We are tapping a lot of trees that are on neighbors land. I think some times that someone who owned the land some 50 years before us had cleared maples because there will be big sugar maple on the neighbors property right next to ours, where there are few and very small so I need trees. This is a good area to have a sugar business I think, we had a season of about 8 weeks last year, but this year I think we are done from the warm weather. What area is you camp?
I would be all for putting some pressure on the Nat. Forest for more trees.
gmarvin & lbondurant

220 maple
03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
gmarvin,
My camp is in Grant County on US 220 about 21 miles North of Franklin. I usually drill over 2200 hundred holes each spring. This year with all the snow I only got 870 open on some ground I leased for sugaring. At last count over 9400 gallons of sugarwater processed. 2.3% to 2.5% sugar content. You can Private Message me thru this site. I will share my local number with you that way. I go to Pa. to get my supplies I could pick things up for you if you need anything

Mark 220 Maple

gmarvin
03-16-2010, 10:46 AM
So there goes another season. How Depressing! Time to start cutting wood for the next sugar season, and a hole lot more to prepare for becoming much bigger.
a huge honey do list... sugar house, pan, and more wood than I had this year...:confused: