PDA

View Full Version : Tap Reducers

murferd
02-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Has anybody ever seen or used the 7/16 to 5/16 reducers.I got a couple samples from D & G in Montreal when I visited there in November.They seem to fit on the existing taps quite well,doesn't seem to matter what brand of tap.Yes,it's another chance of vacuum leak[slim] but will still be able to plug the taps on the tees at end of season without having to buy plugs too if change to 5/16 on the drops.Opinions are always great!

Murferd

syrupmaker
02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
MURFERD....I have seen them but have never used them.I think with the taper that makes the connection between the two should seal really well. Like you said, small chance of vac. leaks.Keep us posted on how they work.

Rick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Would be a good thing to do as you could pull the reducers at the end of the season and sanitize them and then put them back in the spouts when you tap. :idea: :D

DAVE
02-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I tried about 100 last year to see how 5/16 would work for me with out
a large investment. They did as well as my 7/16 taps did and with no leakers. This year Im adding about 250 more and using the stubby taps as well. I also like the idea of having a super clean tap to set into the tree

oldemaple
02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I tried the spout adapters last year on about 100 7/16ths spouts and they worked fine. This year I've converted 100% to the health spouts.

powerdub
02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I have a lot of them out. I can't remember who made them though. I like them a lot. I have far less leaks with them than I do with IPL or leader health spouts.

gmcooper
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I put on at least 100 last might have been 200. all were on vacuum and couldn't detect any leaks. Seem to pull out a little tougher at the end of season. Maybe thats why they didn't leak?
Mark

sweetwoodmaple
02-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Is D&G touting that these smaller 5/16 converters can be removed and the tree re-tapped 7/16 if you get a warm spell?

I realize this isn't the best thing for the tree every year, but after warm ups like last year it might be a consideration?

Brian

brookledge
02-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't see why you couldn't re-tap to 7/16. Basicly they are trying to allow for easy removal to be sterilized and for some, if they had recently put out new 7/16 taps but decided to go to the health spout you don't have to cut and replace the tap.

saphead
02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
A sugarhouse just north of here in VT. used them last year,about 3200 taps I think. He said @ $ .19 a tap he'll throw away the reducer and see how it goes this year by keeping what's in the tree new every year. I'll let you know about sap production.

brookledge
02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I hope it makes a difference for him in sap volume because thats over $600 per year.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2005, 07:42 PM
I think most of this bacteria in taps is a bunch of crap promoted by dealers and the companies that manufacture the spouts. I know there is some truth to it, but it isn't nearly what it is made out to be. I have never seen much of a difference, but I usually sanitize my spouts with a touch of bleach and water every year. :?

Foster
02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Brandon,
I agree , general cleanliness makes good sense. I boil my taps to clean them but lets not pretend to be using sterile technique. I have spent a good portion of my life in microbiology labs and there is no way the taps or the holes are anywhere near sterile . I always like the " never blow into the tap hole " one . I wonder if trees get strep. throat . I cannot think of many pathogens that go from man to tree . I realize we may blow some tree fungus into the fresh tap wound but in reality the wind would do it anyway or the bit would introduce it. I am sure a little boiling or bleach will not hurt but it does not sterilize them and I doubt it really helps.

Race

powerdub
02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Don't boil them or clean them with bleach for the next year or two and then tell us what you think. I never used to clean my taps from year to year because it is such a pain. Last year I took an extra day to tap and clean the spouts before I put them in the tree. What a difference. I pulled my taps later than usual in the middle of May and the holes were as clean as the day I tapped. In years past I would not have been able to see in the hole because it would be full of black junk. I don't think you need to buy new spouts every year but cleaning or sterylizing them does make a difference.

Foster
02-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi Scott,
You should do what works best . No matter what there are many variables such as temperature , moisture ,sugar content etc. that all influence yeast , bacteria and mold growth. Some years tapholes last 6 weeks and others years they last 12 weeks and in most years everything in between . I have had some even run most of the summer. My point was to not confuse cleanliness with sterility . Neither bleach nor boiling at 212 F can kill all the microbes and even if they did one would need a sterile bit and sterile gloves to remain sterile . A mute point perhaps . I guess I boil my taps to clean them of dirt , debris , sugar and reduce microbes , but they are not sterile. Even with sterile technique , sterility would last less than an hour in a tree.
In any event have a great year syruping and I did not mean to start a debate .I was simply agreeing with Brandons comment that sometimes manufactures may overstate certain issues.--- Thanks , Race

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
post edited

Foster
02-22-2005, 09:11 PM
O. K. Kevin ,
In the spirit of friendly mapling I will tell you there is no scientific research to show that boiling at 212 F or chlorine washes act as a sterilizing agent . Both can reduce microbe counts but will not sterilize. I know this for a fact which is why I and other hospitals spend thousands on autoclave units which reach temperatures of 290 F. I make my living at this and am qualified to comment on sterilization and in fact have performed the actual experiments in laboratory settings . Not to be overly academic but we are grossly misusing the term sterilization here. Many maple books do as well . I agree that boiling and washes help to clean and should be done but some are over critical as to their capabilities or purposes. I will not comment again on this subject as we all agree that various methods of sanitation may be benificial and this should be a debate free site. Best of luck this sugaring season .
Race Foster

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
post edited

latewood
03-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I think debates are a good thing. As long as they remain civil-a lot of good can come from a disagreement on issues. With the advent of tubing the tap holes do remain productive for a longer period than the buckets did. My thoughts run on the lines that cleanliness is a good practice,but if you take it too far it becomes academic. Does anyone sterilize thier drill bit after each hole is drilled? Does anyone replace all thier spiles every year? Or we can go as far as new tubing each year. I do think that the spiles should be dipped in a food grade disenfectant(chlorine is in drinking water) and food grade hydrogen peroxide works fine too. At best we can hope for a greater percentage of lighter syrup using these techniques but I don't think any great increase in production can be had by being super"sterile" (that would justify the return on investment)is possible using tubing with vacuum in a closed system. Now some one please disagree with me and perhaps change my mindset.

Dave Y
04-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Don't know enough about it to comment. It does make for some interesting reading though.