PDA

View Full Version : refrigeration vac pumps for hobby size operation?

markct
01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
i see most say about 1 cfm per 100 taps, this got me wondering if one of the small 110v vac pumps used to evacuate air cond and refrigeration systems would work on my line of about 75 taps. they are continuous duty since on a large system you sometimes draw a vac for as much as 72 hours. so is there any reason i cant use one for a few taps, im realy tempted to try my little pump on a line of a few taps near the shop this year!

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2010, 01:12 AM
It will work. When I toasted my DeLaval 3 years ago my buddy ran a Snap On auto air cond vac and my 1/4 HP gast and it was run off a camping generator and was pulling 14 HGs on 1,100 taps. They will run dead headed all day long:) Run a check valve so you dont pull oil back into the system.

markct
01-31-2010, 10:19 AM
wow this is very interesting, seems they are pretty simple and reasonably priced especialy some of the off brand ones, there has to be something im missing here! especialy if it worked on 1,1000 somewhat well for you it seems it would be great on just a few hundred. now if i can find a vac tank so i dont have to mess with a whole releaser setup i might just try it on the small bush near the shop since i already have power there, set it up on a timer to come on in mid morning and then just turn it off later at night