PDA

View Full Version : Source for 1/2 gallon "growlers"

Flat47
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Anyone have a good source for clear glass half-gallon "growlers" (other than the local brew-pub)? These are the ones with a molded in handle and use a spin on cap.

I'm thinking of packing my syrup in them and using them for gifts.

Or...any thoughts on using wine bottles with corks for syrup? Will the cork give an off flavor?

wnybassman
01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Another "odd-ball" bottle that I have used before, and the standard glass bottle caps work very well, is a Frank's Red Hot bottle.

KenWP
01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
I found new lids that fit a lot of glass bottles. Like soya sauce and others. D&G sells them. As to 1/2 gallon galss jugs not luck so far. I can find basically 1/4 gallon glass jugs. They have to exsit some place.

wnybassman
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Keg Works (http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=19983&source=base)

Looking quick, these are the only clear bottle ones I can find. Any way to easily remove the silk screening?

Flat47
01-31-2010, 07:01 AM
I saw those keg works ones on Amazon. Too bad they've got that logo on them. I saw some growlers on homebrew sites, but the ones there had a funky metal handle and were way too expensive.

drewlamb
01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
I just bought about 40 gallons worth of the exact kind your talking about - growlers with the little finger hook at the neck. Goodrich's Maple Farm in Cabot, VT (1-800-639-1854) sells them in qrt, 1/2 gal, and gal size. Not sure they would ship to you, but they could probably hook you up with a source. I'd looked for a while through the maple catalogs, but only found glass in small, metric sizes (largest at 1L). My guess is glass will become increasingly popular with metal now by the wayside and plastic's toxins and poor shelf life.

Flat47
01-31-2010, 07:32 AM
I just bought about 40 gallons worth of the exact kind your talking about - growlers with the little finger hook at the neck. Goodrich's Maple Farm in Cabot, VT (1-800-639-1854) sells them in qrt, 1/2 gal, and gal size. Not sure they would ship to you, but they could probably hook you up with a source. I'd looked for a while through the maple catalogs, but only found glass in small, metric sizes (largest at 1L). My guess is glass will become increasingly popular with metal now by the wayside and plastic's toxins and poor shelf life.

Thanks. I'll give Glen a call.

DanE.
01-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Another "odd-ball" bottle that I have used before, and the standard glass bottle caps work very well, is a Frank's Red Hot bottle.

That's funny. We do the same for our own consumption.

lpakiz
01-31-2010, 08:42 AM
For give-a-ways to friends, family and helpers, I re-use the glass iced-tea bottles and Snapple juice bottles found at the quick-stop/convienence places. The caps will usually re-seal. I wash them out with a bottle brush on the cordless drill. They are 16 ounces (pint)

cncaboose
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
try Fillmore container in Lancaster, PA. We got quart sauce bottles and half gallon growlers from them last year at reasonable prices. YOu do have to get cases though or the shipping will kill you. www.fillmorecontainer.com

Toblerone
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Here too: http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=33

wnybassman
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
try Fillmore container in Lancaster, PA. We got quart sauce bottles and half gallon growlers from them last year at reasonable prices. YOu do have to get cases though or the shipping will kill you. www.fillmorecontainer.com

They seem to have really good prices.

Flat47
01-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Fillmore has got a great selection! Thanks for that link - added that one to my favorites. I also like the looks of their 32 oz bottles and they've got a bunch of different heat shrink sleeves.

drstan
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Home brew stores usually stock the gallon and 1/2 gallon for wine making.
Beer Solutions in Wilkes-Barre, PA usually has them.

Z/MAN
02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Ah, Beer Solutions. I was shopping there last week!:D