PDA

View Full Version : snow in KY

andrew martin
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I wish I was making syrup this year, I would actually get to try "sugar on snow" this year. We typically do not have that delicacy here in Kentucky. I sold my 3x8 to Lee Blythe in Auburn, KY and have enjoyed getting to know Lee and some of the other syrup makers in Kentucky. We have 5" of new powder snow in Central Kentucky, and loving the white stuff. We built snow forts and have gone sleigh riding all afternoon. The boys love it.

Went ice fishing at Kinzua Dam in NW Pennsylvania two weeks ago with my brother. Stayed at Mountain Laurel B&B in Bradford, PA. Caught a good mess of yellow perch, one 30" northern, a bunch of small northerns and a bunch of small walleyes. We fished out of Willow Bay and had a great time. Had not been ice fishing in almost 8 years, and looking forward to going again next year.

Trying to convince the wife that hanging ten buckets is not a bad idea this year.

Andrew Martin

Frank Ivy
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
OK, really just joking here, maybe not, so don't shoot me, but the day I have to "convince" my wife if I want to hang out 10 buckets if I'm the one doing the work is the day I call the divorce lawyer.

;)

Just sayin!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Andrew,

Did you get out of it completely and sell all your equipment??

KenWP
01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Another guy who dreams of granduer.

andrew martin
01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
No, did not get out of it completely. I am still holding onto 150+ buckets/lids. I sold 30 buckets and put on loan an additional 30 buckets to a guy in SHelbyville, KY, which is 70 minutes west of here.
My remodeling business grew quite a bit in 2009, and my sugar shack became a storage unit for my concrete mixer, my tile saw, my sheet metal brake, ladders, etc. I could not keep all my work stuff and the evaporator in the same space, so...... I sold the evap and 300 gallon storage tank. I know, I am speaking blasphemy here, just go ahead and shoot me now. I plan to get into "it" again when I have more space and perhaps have more than just a few square yards in a subdivision. We live in a subdivision, and we only have so much backyard to accommodate all the stuff. I have had fun visiting with Lee Blythe in Auburn, KY and Doug Welch in SHelbyville, KY. Lee has a real nice Bed and Breakfast (Federal Grove) and they serve a great dinner. Rooms are spacious and comfy. Lee has a great looking sugarbush with some beautiful trees. Doug has a 75 acre farm with a nice home set in the rear of the property. He has 200+ trees, and some real large beautiful maples that will be great producers. I joked with Doug he will go from a barrel evap this year to a 2x6 next year.

Bottom line, when we get my work truck and my wife's student loans paid off, we hope to purchase some property with maples on it and start doing this again. We just have too much going on for the time being. I still drive down country roads looking for maple trees and get excited when I see those large-canopied trees in people's front yards.

AKM

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Either way, sounds like you have your priorities correctly in line and hopefully it will work out for you soon in the future. Family comes first.

Spend a few weekend days each year helping the guy out that you sold the evaporator too. Lots of fun and should get enough syrup out of it for the family.

andrew martin
01-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Doug has one horse, one dog, one cat and a rabbit. My oldest would have ridden the horse bareback if we let him. All three boys loved the dog and the rabbit. We found a dead deer in the woods the same day, and they were so curious about all the different bones and how the deer died. "WHY??" is a common question at our house. Doug said we could ride the horse the next time we came. Doug's daughter and my wife were in seminary together, so it was a great connection to be with Doug and his family. My oldest told me when we left that day that he thinks we should have a farm. WIth all the animals he wanted to have on it, it sounded more like Noah's Ark than a farm. Plus, he wants a big John Deere tractor with a front bucket and a box blade on the back. Sure,,,,,, I'll just run down to Wal-Mart and get that!! Perhaps some day.

AKM