PDA

View Full Version : One 5/16 line or drops into 3/4"

MapletopFarm
01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I have 10-12 large old trees in line along a roadside. Each will handle 3 to 4 taps per tree. Plan is to locate a single 55 gal collection tank in the center, so there'd be 5 trees on either side of the tank, each end being about 150' from the collection tank. Here's the question....
Is 5/16 line for the entire set-up adequate, and if so, what are the suggested ways to join each tree's 3-4 tap drops to the mainline of 5/16" to the collection tank.
The other thought was one mainline of 3/4 on wire and tie each tree's drops with a star manifold or 4 way inline barbed fitting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

markct
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
thats gona be 30 to 40 taps or more, i think i would go with 3/4 or half inch mainline, and use a star fitting at each tree.

Bucket Head
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
The 5/16 line would work alright for that. Do you have a good downward slope to the barrel? I have 31 and 44 taps on a single line and it works fine. They are on a good slope though. If you have good slope, the line will carry that sap without a problem.

Despite the tree size, I would'nt put that many taps in a tree. Putting that many in each season, it won't be too long before you've girdled it with a lot of holes. In a very short time, you will have difficulty finding good wood to tap.

Those trees were around long before we were, and with conservative tapping, they should be around long after also.

Steve

PerryW
02-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I would stick to 5/16" lines, especially if the tubing will be taken down at the end of each season. Winding up mainline & wire is much more work than just dealing with the 5/16".

Start at the high end and start putting together the tubing and drops. If you get more than 20 or so taps, simply run the line directly to the barrel, and start an additional 5/16" line to pick up the rest of the taps. I have some smaller tanks with 3 or four 5/16" lines running into the tank.

Ridgeland Farm
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
im not a pro by any means but from everything Ive heard and read would say to stick with 5/16 as long as you can keep a good slop. This will create more of a natural vacuum and produce a higher sap yeild than if you used a mainline. Reccomendations say to go wit 20-30taps per 5/16 line on a gravity system.

farmall h
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Maple Newbie, you plan on doing 1200 plus taps this way? I don't know, you better plan on a mainline...better yet, you need to visit an operating bush and gather some ideas. Visit a producer tapping 1000-2000. Take a tour of the set-up and get a good visual. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there is no blue print when it comes to setting up the bush. The layout of the land and the spacing of your trees/mixed species all determines the setup, No two maple orchards are the same. I'm certain that a local producer in your area would let you see his/her operation. Maple folks are sweet!:)

PerryW
02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I think Maple Newby was advising Mapletop Farm about his 10-12 large trees.

you'd have to be pretty stubborn to run 1200 taps with no mainlines.

I do go out of my way to avoid mainlines if I have to take them down each season.

Ridgeland Farm
02-05-2010, 07:17 AM
haha yeah that many taps would be a challenge on all gravity 5/16! My sugar bush is all on vac. I have some gravity lines in an area of good sugars I just didnt have time to run the vac to this year! I was just refering to this specific situation.

Rhino
02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
We plan on putting in 250 extra taps on line the end of Feb. We were going to wait until after we thinned out this area but all the drop lines are made up and just sitting in my garage looking at us. This is my question.... This area is a south faceing hillside, big time slope, nice big trees. I read on some of the last post that some producers put 20+ taps on a 5/16 line and it works good with good slope. I plan on just putting in one mainline on the bottom of the hill because i will have to take it down when we log, and i don't want to deal with more mainline then i have to. All our taps on vac. they suggest around 5-7 taps per 5/16th, so that's why im wondering about putting that many on a gravity system. The lateral lines I will just roll up and tie to the upper most trees when we log, and then put in all the mainlines (3) next year. I realize that whatever sap i get from the 5/16 lines is going to be a bonus, but putting that many taps on a lateral goes against everything i was told. How much natural vac. would this create? it can't be much? would it be better to vent the top taps for better flow? I would think a 5/16 line running a full bore stream would take quite a number of taps. So you guys that put alot of taps on a 5/16 line, please give me some feedback/results. thanks

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Rhino,

I don't think you want them vented. Mine are not. My single 5/16 line with 44 taps on it pulls a little over 7 inches of natural vacuum on a good day. Whatever vacuum your lines could generate would be lost with a vent.

Steve

Rhino
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks buckethead, going to go ahead and do this. will only have 20 or so on each lateral for this year. The stream out of your lines with 44 taps on must be impressive. So on a good day do you fill a 50 gal. container on this line?

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Yes. On a good day it will fill two 55 gal. poly drums. You always want what you think is excessive capacity at the collection point. It is very disapointing to walk up to a bucket/barrel/tank and see it running over and the ground is all wet.

Good luck with the expansion and let everyone know how it turns out.

Steve

tappin&sappin
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
My vote - run 5/16 lines and break the runs up so you have <15 taps per line.

All of my sets are 5/16" gravity w/ less than 15 (okay one has 16) taps per stretch. Longest run is probably 100 feet. I also have multiple 5/16 lines running to the same 55 gallon drum.

I believe the rule of thumb is <15 taps for 5/16" on gravity.

Brad Gillian (sp) from Leader talked about tubing installation at the NW PA Maple Association meeting in January.

Brad said NOT to vent and confirmed the <15 tap rule on 5/16" gravity.

He likened it to pouring water out of a plastic bottle. If you flip the bottle over, it takes forever for the water to leave the bottle. Whereas if you tilt the bottle allowing for air to enter, the water pours out smoothly, exits quickly, etc. Thus, if you put too many taps on a line, you are putting too much sap in the line and not allowing for the air.

Regarding venting - Brad said that venting eliminates the natural vacuum being created w/ a gravity system.

- Jake

Rhino
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the input, will put 15 taps per each line and see how it works. It's only for one season so it isn't that critical. Will hitch mainline up next year. Thanks.