PDA

View Full Version : Arch questions

stifflej
01-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I am going to try making my own syrup this year, and have been seeing alot on arches, can someone post a couple pics of your home made arches to give me an idea of what you are talking about, and what I should start planning for?

Thanks.

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Are we talking a 2x2 2x4 6x16 a little help please. If its a 2x2 Ill show you how to make a arch out of a drum with 2 hinges and a stove pipe with elbo in less that a hr with a sawzal.:lol:

stifflej
02-01-2010, 07:04 AM
I guess a 2x2

PerryW
02-01-2010, 07:22 AM
If you are building an arch, I would make it bigger than 2x2. It's better to have the pan at least twice as long as it is wide so your fire box is in the front half and they heat from the wood is used to also boil sap in the back half of the pan instead of going right up the chimney.

stifflej
02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
OK, fine 2x4, I have no knowledge of any of this, that is why I asked to see pics, I have no idea what an arch even looks like. I plan on doing about 15 taps this year, just to see if I can do it, and if I like it. Any pics/directions would be great. Thanks.

Big_Eddy
02-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Here are 2 different simple setups. 2x3 pan. Good for 5-6 gallons an hour. Needs 60 gallons of sap for a batch to finish on the fire. Otherwise - plan on finishing on the stove.

Can easily handle your 15 trees boiling on the weekends only. Store the sap on snow/ice in the shade.

stifflej
02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the pics, look like they should be easy enough to make...and already have most of the stuff needed, except the pan...

Gary R
02-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Here's another picture of a small barrel arch. If you don't have materilals or a welder, Big Eddy's pictures are the way to go for a begineer.

stifflej
02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I have block already, and the flu pipe, so I will go with that method, what material can I make the pan out of? I think stainless steel is recommended, but a little expensive, what other material can I use?

Thanks.

PerryW
02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
ENglish Tin is the other alternative but I believe the price is not that much different than S.S.

The ONLY other choice would be copper, but not very common.

Galvanized is definitely a No-No for an evaporator.

Not sure about aluminum, but I don't think it's that durable.

Lot of people use the stainless steel rectangular steaming trays. Look back through the Homemade Maple Equipment section and you will find tons of ideas.

Big_Eddy
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Are you making your own, having one made, or looking to buy?

Make your own - Get a 4'x4' piece of 18-20 gauge mild steel, and use the plan attached below. Use the excess in the corner to make some handles. You can leave the dividers out for a basic setup. Mild steel should be less than $40, can be cut with a jig saw or even good tin snips, then bent over the side of a bench with some clamps and a hammer. Mild steel is easy enough to weld if you have a MIG and a little experience. If you want to go stainless, specify 304 with a Mill finish. Stainless will cost you over $100, should be sheared to get a tight fitup and is best bent in a brake. It should be TIG welded by a proficient welder.

Have one Made - same plans as above, or have them copy the half pint design. Pricing will vary by how well you know the welder.

Buy one - there are several guys on here that make stainless pans and EBay offers them as well. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for a simple 2x3 pan.

tomslusher
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey Big Eddy,

Do you check your messages? I sent you a couple asking you a few questions about your old barrel evaporator. Can you check and see if you have gotten the messages please?

thanks,

tomslusher

new guy here

Gary R
02-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I just cut some 18ga.304 stainless tonight. I'm going to make some small starter pans for whoever. They will be 18"X27"X5". They will be mig welded and may not be that pretty. But, they will hold water. $50?

KenWP
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
OK, fine 2x4, I have no knowledge of any of this, that is why I asked to see pics, I have no idea what an arch even looks like. I plan on doing about 15 taps this year, just to see if I can do it, and if I like it. Any pics/directions would be great. Thanks.

I would not feel bad. I never thought making maple syrup was so difficult until I bought this place and figured I could make a couple of gallons of syrup.I had no idea how they boiled it and they don't tell you that it's worse then motor oil to filter and then you have to get it bottled up. It's all sort of okay once you figure it all out and figure out how to boil 40 to 60 gallons a clear water into syrup with out falling asleep or tossing it in the bush and going to town and buy some.

If you can at all afford it go with the biggest pan you can as it takes some long nights to boil off that much water if you don't. I used a 18 inch X16 inch pan and it took 13 to 15 hours minimium to make a gallon of syrup.I won't even try and tell how many hours it took to make a gallon of birch syrup at 180 to one.

katokat
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I just cut some 18ga.304 stainless tonight. I'm going to make some small starter pans for whoever. They will be 18"X27"X5". They will be mig welded and may not be that pretty. But, they will hold water. $50?

Gary, I would definitely be interested in one of those for my first shot at non-propane sugaring this spring. However I live in Ontario, do you think you might ship?
Chris.

Gary R
02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
katokat,

Here's a picture of the pans. I just got done today. It took me longer than expected. I had to repair some leaks in my welds:emb: I would like to help you out, but I think I'm going to keep them for now. I am haveing a begineers boiling seminar March 6th. I'd like people to see them and possibly sell them then. I need a box brake and some better welding. I'd be grining then. Thinking of making some filter/canner/finishing pans. I have plenty of stainless.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Very nice looking job on the pans!

vtsnowedin
02-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Yes very nice especially for a prototype. Can't wait to see set number ten.

Gary R
02-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks guy's. They are crude compared to factory. I need to figure out how to bend a "box" with what I have in the garage. I was looking in the cataloges. They want $300 - $600 for a simple pan with a drain. I might try make a few by order for less than half the price of new. I'll see if a few local guy's are interested.

KenWP
02-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Gary those pans look just like the pan that was left here when I bought the place. Same handles even. Problem is it's way old and galvinized and lead soldered most likely. I use it for other things.

stifflej
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Gary, I would definitely be interested in one when you decide to sell some, by chance do you ever venture south east of Polk?

Gary R
02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I travel to Dubois all the time for work during the day. I'll let one go now. I probably won't make more until after this season. I'll then raise the price a little. I need to cover my time fixing my welds:)

hymer02
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I am going to try making my own syrup this year, and have been seeing alot on arches, can someone post a couple pics of your home made arches to give me an idea of what you are talking about, and what I should start planning for?

Thanks.

I built a 2x4 over the winter out of scrap 1/4" plate steel.I used for the door a barrel stove kit,and a cleanout door a buddy had laying around.I have a mig welder and plasma cutter so it was pretty inexpensive for me.
For the pans, I bought from stainlessteelcreations(ebay or web) a 2x4 flat pan with the 12"x24" preheater pan.
I have around $600 into it.It looks the same as most 2x4's that are for sale commercially that I seen, with some extra mods that people have posted on this great site and other places on the web.
Last year I used a barrel stove that I welded an extension into the top of and had a 16" x 30" ss pan made.That worked pretty well and was enough to get me hooked. I had $250 into that and made 7.5 gallons.
The only pics I have are to big to post,sorry.Good Luck!