PDA

View Full Version : Feed Tank Platform

Amber Gold
01-29-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm building a feed tank platform inside of the SH. The tank is ~130 gal. The platform is in the back corner right next to the evaporator. It is nailed on two sides to the walls and needs to be supported on the outboard corner. I put a post in, but it's right in the way of the float box. I offset it from the corner and it works, but is still in the way. I'd like to support the corner from above. I was thinking of nailing a support from the rafter or collar tie. I have a metal roof and the snow will build up to 12" or so and fall off, so snow load isn't much of a concern. Also during the season, the heat from boiling keeps the snow from building up. Rafters are 2x6 @ 16" o.c.. I think this should work.

Thoughts??

peacemaker
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
full that tank will wiegh 1082.90 pds ...i would ess if u can also run some angel barckets back to the studs

mapleack
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
The walls will be carrying approx half the weight of the tank platform. I'd add another 2x6 to each side of the rafter you're looking at, full length so they transfer weight to the walls. Then use steel such as 2" angle iron, carriage bolted through your platform frame (which I'd build out of 2x8's) and bolted the whole way through the three 2x6's as well. I'm not an engineer, but IMO I think that would work fine.

michelle32
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Josh, Your going to have alot of weight there. I would double up the Roof rafter and if using wood I would bolt it straight through top and bottom. Metal angle or channel iron would be better. The last thing you need is for those nails to work out under that weight.Keith

Amber Gold
01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Good suggestions and will double-triple up the rafter. I forgot to add I will be adding lag bolts to the studs, just haven't gotten there yet.

My 300 gal tank last year was (3-4) lag bolts to the outside wall into the studs, constructed w/ a 2x6 frame, and (3) 4x4 posts (corners and mid-span). This held fine.

Thanks for the input.

michelle32
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Josh, I would bolt straight through. Much stronger. Keith

Amber Gold
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Lag bolts into the studs (don't want the carriage bolts sticking outside) and carriage bolts through the rafter.

Keith, are you ready for the season yet?

michelle32
01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Almost just need to run 230ft of 1 1/2 pipe to releaser in the woods. Sounds like your just about ready over there. Quit the change from last year for you. Wife has been helping more than any one can expect. She's one of those vermont girl's that grew up on this stuff and just loves being in the woods. Theres some days its dark and have to drag her back to the house. She'll say just one laterial and we can go in. It's nice having someone push you like this. Shes already talking about an ro and 3 hundred more taps for next year. Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I have a 320 gallon SS Lappierre feed tank and fill it to the brim. I have in in between the evaporator and milk tank and it has a treated 4x4 on each corner. It is extremely stable as my floor is level and all the legs are square and set evenly on the floor. It is cheap and quick to build and there are pics on my weblink inside the sugarhouse and you should be able to get an idea.

Get a couple of 4x4's for the outside away from the wall. They are pretty cheap and will hold a lot of weight.

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
The leg doesnt have to be out at the corner for it to carrie alot of the load. You can also angle the leg back for added strengh. You can always tap the underlayment up off the roof truss and slap in a nice steel strap and then sister the side wood to the truss. Dont go at it with a sledge hammer but a flat bar will give you 1/8th " and slide it thru and bend over the truss. Go to the Simpson tie section at HD and you will find what you want.

Big_Eddy
01-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Rather than bolting to the wall studs - why not put a jack stud in beside the existing one, and sit your platform support directly on the top of it. Transfers the load down to the ground and is a lot stronger than a bolted or lagged connection.

kinalfarm
01-30-2010, 11:46 AM
i would double up the wall studs and use 45 angle brackets 2x8 down from the outside corner of the platform on each side and whatever you do dont use screws! they have hardly any shear strenght compared to nails and if you dont thinks thats enough double up the rafter and drop a 2x8 down and nail that into the platform too. you wont have any problems.its only 1200 lbs right? haha if that fell on your pans it would cost you, so be careful and good luck

(union carpenter by trade, part time sugarin)