PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Gumlaw's sugar shack
01-29-2010, 06:54 AM
We went from temps of 50 right into minus 0 this past week. The next 5 days are going to be the same. The rain took most of the snow and left little in the woods. "A question for you" With no snow to insulate the ground and below 0 temps driving the frost further into the ground. How well do you think ones season would be. :confused:

KenWP
01-29-2010, 08:07 AM
If I knew that I could probbably charge each of you big money to tell you so that you didn't buy a lot of equipment in the wrong year.

peacemaker
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
every years is good some are just better

Gumlaw's sugar shack
01-29-2010, 09:53 AM
That's what I told the guy that asked me this question. Some are better than others. Basically I told him what I have seen the longer the frost Is In the ground the slower the trees thaw...Its a no brainer.

MaplePancakeMan
01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Deeper the frost the harder the time the tree has sucking up moisture, and thus effectively limiting the sap. One can only hope that it thaws slowly.

I only worry as to what happens if we have a deep frost line like we seem to have, and the trees run slow and then bam we hit 60's for a few days and it kicks the trees into poor quality sap and eventually buddy sap.

Oh well no sense dwelling on it i guess right.

backyardsugarer
01-29-2010, 01:30 PM
would have to get pretty deep to have a significant impact on flow. Remember that most of what you see above the ground is the size of the root system. Most maples have deep root systems so it would take a huge stretch of mega cold. We have about 5 inches on the ground in this area thanks to the lake so that will help insulate some.

Chris

briduhunt
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I just dug a ditch from my house to me shed and the frost was only down 4-5" at the most. I live near the lake so that might have something to do with the depth but I was also on a construction site and they also only saw a frost down 5-6".