PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush valuation?

monktonmaple
01-29-2010, 05:10 AM
What is a reasonable price to pay per tap for buying a sugar bush? Fairly level ground, 60-80 taps per acre.

Flat47
01-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Here in Maine, $1500 to $2500 per acre. Now, that's if there's good standing timber, not necessarily a sugarbush. I think a sugarbush is harder to be put a value on, because there is the future value to consider.

To me, a sugarbush is more valuable than any other type of pure or near pure stand. Plantations and other cultivated stands are usually meant for fiber or lumber production, which when compared to sugaring, is fairly short term. Investing in and managing a sugarbush for sugaring is long term to say the least. Therefore, more valuable in my opinion.

JD COOK FARM
01-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I am in the process of buying 138 acres right across the road from me. (Upstate NY about 3 miles from Canadian border). It's a old farm. The going rate around here is $1000 an acre now. I remember when you could get land for $300 an acre. There is a lot of young maple and a mature sugar bush on it, probably around 2000 taps total, maybe more. Thankfully the lady selling it doesn't place any extra value on that part of the land. Sugar bushes are few and far between.

KenWP
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
My dad bought a 1/4 section for $360 back in the early 60s. Of course it was in northren Sask. I worked for a fellow that farmed land he paid $500 a quarter for in the late 50-s early 60s. I can remember dad being offered $100 bucks a acre from the resdient land baron and figureing he was crazy and not selling.

farmall h
01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Monktonmaple, that is kind of a broad question. You really need to walk the entire bush or parcel (mixed species) and determine the value you could receive back not only from syrup production but harvest of soft woods and firewood. Is it a mature maple bush? Has it been logged off except for the maples? Is it in land use? Lots of questions to be asked of one's self! Good luck.

TRAILGUY
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I cut a few days last week and may cut some more next week. I read the north American sugar manual. Is there any other publication line with in dept information