PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning used bottles

Sweber
02-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm sure somebody out there has reused plastic jugs for syrup a second time around? Has anyone done this for commercial use? Private use I have no problems with, but I want to make certain I've sterilized the container. I've tried boiling plastic containers but I don't feel like I get it truly clean. Am I ? All these people drop off their empties and I feel like I should reuse them. Any thoughts ? Or just send them packing to the recycle center? Anyone want bags full of these ?

brookledge
02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Alot depends on what they used to clean them. I have re-used containers but only if they were rinsed with hot water. When you use detergents with alot of scents in it, chances are the plastic will retain some of the smell. If someone returns a jug I will just check it myself. Sometimes I will just put it in the recycle bin. As for sterilizing them if they are clean looking with no signs of mildew or mold on them when you can the syrup make sure the syrup is up to 185. Even new containers right out of the box can have bacteria present. Hot packing will kill all bacteria.
Keith

oldemaple
02-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I would never refill a used jug that was returned by a customer. There is no way of telling what might have been in that jug after the syrup was taken out of it. It's just not worth taking the risk of a law suit to me. You might also want to check with the state health department as to laws pertaining to re-using bottles.

ebourassa
02-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I will refill certain jugs that go to certain people, I tell them to put there name on it so I can give them back the same jug and help save on cost. And to make sure they rinse them well, but I aonly so this to people I trust.
Erik

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I always reuse my jugs. I run them through the dishwasher and they look and smell about like brand new. I only use them for my personal syrup or the syrup I give away to the property owners. Sure beats paying all that money for syrup that is given away. I have done this for years and never had a problem. Wouldn't recommend this for selling syrup in. :D

GregMVT
02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Do any of you use the same tops when reusing containers? My wife has saved all the containers over the year, we have quite a few jugs (probably explains the "maple bellies" we're getting :roll: since neither of us drink beer) If you get new covers where do you get them? Thanks.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Most of the maple suppliers will sell you new lids for 10 cents each. I always keep an extra supply of new lids on hand for the used jugs. Don't use the old lids and expect them to seal. They would be ok to use for someone that is going to use the syrup immediately, but I would recommend the new lids to be safe. :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-20-2005, 07:50 AM
For .10 cents a cap you can buy all you want from Bascom's.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2005, 08:00 AM
That's where I always buy mine from and I assumed you could buy them from about any dealer, but not sure. :? I switched to the Les Cruchon jugs this year as they carry PURE WEST VIRGINIA jugs and they look great, so I may have to find a different source for my lids. 8O