PDA

View Full Version : cleaning tin pans

morningstarfarm
01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
hey what's the best thing to use when cleaning pans(mine are tin)? I do hope to upgrade next year but the price was right

3rdgen.maple
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Well that might all depend on what you are trying to clean out of them, you are gonna get many responses on this and the lead thing is gonna come up a few dozen times as well but if you can tell us what exacally are you tryin to clean off them it would help. Rust, niter or caked on syrup???????

PerryW
01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
If it's nitre (sugar sand), use pan acid.

morningstarfarm
01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
ok so I should have seen the lead thing coming....these pans are silver soldered. I was hoping there was something to use to clean nitre, crud, and yes a couple tiny spots of rust. I remember my grandfather having a secret recipe which, if I remember correctly, was a mix of vinegar, salt, and vodka that he used to clean the pans. Is there anything you reccomend that is local?

KenWP
01-29-2010, 08:24 AM
You can use cream of tarter and bakeing soda and a bit of water for some of the polishing. Vinegar will remove a lot.

PerryW
01-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Mix the vinegar and salt together and sprinkle it on some home fried potatoes then drink the Vodka.

Now grab some scotchbright pads, a putty knife and wire brush and use some elbow grease.