PDA

View Full Version : Combustion Air Question

bradley153
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I have made a new arch for the 2010 boiling season and I am in the process of lineing it with board and brick. But before I get to that point, I want to put a 4" pipe in to the combustion area of the stove to possibly help with starting the fire and assisting in the boil. How are most arches fitted with blowers? is it just a pipe that enter in to the ash pit area that feeds air up thru the grates or is it something more complex? I have a draft assist blower that came off a furnace that I will be useing. I have no idea what the CFM's are, but was thinking about a rheostat on the blower to slow down the air.

any and all help will be appreciated..

Brad

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Brad,

Just need to cut a hole in the rear of the arch below the grates to allow the air into the arch. Hole needs to be about same size of you outlet on the blower you you can make a duct the distributes the air across most of the back of the arch. All the factory arches, the air comes in from the rear.

One note, unless the front of your arch is sealed up pretty tight, you will get ash blowing out regardless of whether you mount blower on front or rear of arch.