PDA

View Full Version : lapierre releaser question?

red maples
01-28-2010, 08:21 AM
I did hear a rumor that their were problems with the lapierre hobby 500 releasers and there was a recall. was that problem fixed and are they availiable yet. and for those that have them what do you think!!!

I checked lapierre's website and and its still there and just asked the maples guy for a price on one.

Maplewalnut
01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
The only positive thing I had purchasing the hobby unit was the fact that Chris at Maple Guys worked with me to trade it in this year on a full size mechanical.
Not sure if they redesigned it (I had heard that they did) but the first year model had lots of issues with sticking floats and a design flaw which allowed you to suck up sap all day long through your vacuum line when the releaser didnt dump, which was more often then nought. (No ball float, and vacuum attached to the top chamber)

DrTimPerkins
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Not sure if they redesigned it (I had heard that they did) but the first year model had lots of issues with sticking floats ...

They did redesign it. Much shorter throw on the float now and some other changes to correct the reported issues. No reports so far (too early) on how well the new design works.

red maples
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I hope the redesign is good. I am sure they tested it. we'll see.

tuckermtn
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
after all of last years issues, call me crazy, but I have two hobbys on the way from the Maple guys-

the first season with the original design was okay- backed up twice- but last year we had it fail nearly every day...

keeping my fingers crossed they have it figured out...

-Eric

Maplewalnut
01-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Eric-

Do you know what they changed/improved? There is definitely a market for the smaller size and the fixes seemed like they would be pretty simple. I just didn't have time to mess with it. My problems also were compounded because it was in the woods.

Mike

red maples
01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
chris got back to me with a price. I think I am going to go for it. I am thinking it will more than pay for itself the first year. I tap about 75%reds and kinda set up the tubing for gravity but I am picking up an bb2 on tuesday and with this releaser I could go (low balling it ) form 40 gallons of syrup to 80 gallons est. $2000 in syrup to $4000 I have the potential to double my money back.

OK I just convinced my self. going for it...I think I need to hide it from my wife though:o :evil: :emb:

tuckermtn
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Mike- all I know is similar to what Dr Perkins mentioned- I have not picked mine up yet- I'll let you know as soon I get my hands on them...

red maples
01-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I talked to chris. he said he's got them. I am getting mine from him at the meeting tomorrow.

chrisnjake9
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
well i just bought one of these hobby releasers last year and sunk my pump more than a couple times mat said that the releaser has to be level but if they have already re designed it sounds like there was problems so did they recall them or am i f#%$^? thanks jason

Russell Lampron
02-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Jason Lapierre was buying them back. You would have to check with your dealer to see what they are doing now.

tuckermtn
02-02-2010, 07:26 PM
talked to Tom from Lapierre at the NH maple meeting on Saturday. Supposedly they shortened up the throw on the float and re-enforced the lower can. a few other minor changes, but it looks a lot like the one I had last year...time will tell if the changes are going to work. Supposedly they have had one running 24/7 up in Quebec at the factory outside so hopefully its fixed...

chrisnjake9
02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
well i called lapierre today and talked to tom .he said send it back with receipt and they will send me a new one. thanks every one jason

Maplewalnut
02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Eric-is there any ball of sorts to plug vacuum supply if float gets hung up? That was my biggest concern, floats stick no matter what model

tuckermtn
02-03-2010, 07:17 AM
no ball of any sort- that was what I was hoping for also- I am admittedly a little nervous about the supposed re-design. I'll be the official mapletrader guinea pig