PDA

View Full Version : Main Line

dkr
01-28-2010, 07:07 AM
I want to try some tubing for about 50 trees about 100 taps and never worked with tubing before, can I run the main line zig zag down the hill and bring the lines from the trees to it? I would have 3 to 5 trees in each line going to the main and the main line would be about 150 ft long. What size would the main line be? Thanks for any help

backyardsugarer
01-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Mailine will only zig and zag so much without kinking so be careful of that. You can get away with 1/2" but I would go 3/4" in case you expand in the future.

Chris

gator330
01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
dkr,

Sounds like you want to do just what I did last year. Which was my first run at tubeing. I used 1/2 main up on wire with the 5/16 lateral lines that come into a 1/2 to four 5/16 manifold. Works just fine.(All gravity) Now if I was to do it again, I would use 3/4 mainline, a saddle (which they don't make for 1/2 inch main and is easyer to hit the main line were the lateral line comes across rather then reaching out to the last manifold) 5/16 laterail as tight as you can pull them with five or so taps on each and add vacum!!!! So, like Chris said, go with the 3/4 main line the first time!!!!!!

PerryW
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
dkr,

You can do exactly as you say, but most people will run a piece of 9 or 12 gauge wire first and attach the 1/2" or 3/4" mainline to the wire (with wire-ties) so the mainline has no sags.

backyardsugarer
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I got a woods here in Victor but I have not forgot about your woods in Lyons. I will be more than happy to help you tube it when you are ready. I had a blast the last 2 weeks setting up the woods here. Will have around 500 taps on vac. this year. Hope your prep for the year is going well. Only about a month left till we start around here.

Chris

gator330
01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm all set here ready to rinse, tape and boil. Only 100 taps and a bunch of buckets for fun. Till I get a big evaporator i'm maxed out. It's hard to sit here and look at 2500-3000 taps and know you can only handle 100 with the eguipment I have. Hope to catch up with you some day.

backyardsugarer
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
April will be a good time to look for used evaporators. You gotta get one so we can tube that woods for you. If I was looking at 2,500 tap potential I would be going crazy! Get a rig next year that can handle 500 or so and then get an RO the following year and tap em' all.

Chris

gator330
01-29-2010, 04:02 PM
dkr

Got it all figured out yet? Better yet do you have it done?!

Chris,

Those are just the easy ones there isn't a person in this area that wouldn't let me tape there trees if I asked them. Of corse I would offer syrup but then I would lose my local market. Not even considering the soft maple I own.

red maples
01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
looks like everyone said it all here but when you put in the wire side ties to the wire so the tube doesn't kink and don't make too tight of a zig or a zag.

dkr
01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
dkr

Got it all figured out yet? Better yet do you have it done?!

Chris,

Those are just the easy ones there isn't a person in this area that wouldn't let me tape there trees if I asked them. Of corse I would offer syrup but then I would lose my local market. Not even considering the soft maple I own.

I think I have it now,Plan on going to supplier next week and if weather allows I will try setting up. Still very cold here.Thanks everyone for the help.

backyardsugarer
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I am jealous. Funny how a small difference in location makes all the difference in people's attitude. Everyone in Victor that has land thinks they are going to make millions either logging it or developing it. If you need help getting going you know how to contact me. I have been a little bored now that my tubing is up.

Chris