PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water

mapleman3
02-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I know all you guys out there with preheaters and hoods get hot water for cleaning during boiling, but what about before and after the boiling season, like when you want to clean buckets tanks ect. Now that I have oil and the boil is within minutes, I just fill the evap with water, turn on the burner breifly and within minutes have hot water, I figure I will rinse buckets before I tap and clean the storage tanks on the side of the sugarhouse with the hot water also... another advantage to oil!!

themapleking
02-19-2005, 05:37 PM
You are buying north american oil :wink:

gearpump
02-19-2005, 05:52 PM
The best thing I did was put an outside hose faucet on the house hooked up to the hot water tank. Works great for washing tanks and buckets. Just got to make sure you have a garden hose that can handle hot water!

Marty

mapleman3
02-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Marty, how far do you have to run the hose?I do about 125ft of hose to get to the sugarhouse, I'd like to actually bury a line out to the sugarhouse and put a hydrant/faucet out there.

Ed K
02-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I have so much pulp wood & slabs it doesn't bother me to crank up the arch to heat water. Plus I have a line coming down from a spring to the sugarhouse, so I can rinse the pans after the season also.
I sure do like that hot water running out of the steamhood tho.

mapleman3
02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Glenn goodrich said if you are fortunate enough to have a spring, to plumb it to your evap and use the natural minerals to clean your pans by just letting it run through your pans on it's own as long as it takes...I guess there's something in those minerals that will clean good. I would love to have a natural spring... your a lucky guy Ed :D :wink:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Jim,

Shouldn't be too big of a job to run a water line to the sugarhouse and bury one of the frost free faucets. That is what I have and it is really nice! :D

gearpump
02-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Jim

The hose I have on my house hot water faucet is only about 20 feet. I use it to wash out the truck tank every other day. If I need lots of hot water in the sugarhouse, I fill up the truck tank then pump it up to my holding tank. Brandon is right about the frost free faucet. Works great and there is no need to worry about it freezing up like a hose on top the ground.

Marty