PDA

View Full Version : This is my Arch project

Stickey
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe I will graduate from the block arch this year. Here's what I have to start with, got it off a guy for a case of beer. I was going to use it for a dump run trailer but this should be more interesting and fun. My uncle owns a big hunk of land in Vermont and after sampling my syrup he offered use of it. Some day I might even build a shack up there so I can take a spring break, if you catch my drift. In the mean time, hey a mobile evaporator could come in handy. Well, how do you guys think I should proceed? I have access to welding machines and torches Etc, etc.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Stickey66/Sugaring2010?feat=directlink

KenWP
01-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Well we have seen a evaporator on skis and wheels so a portable one should fit right in. Go for it. The worst that can happen is you decide to dump it off the treiler on the ground and go from there.

Smitty
01-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Stickey,
sounds like a fun project, go for it.
let us know how you make out.:mrgreen:

Smitty
01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
after thought,
you might want to weld on 4 drop legs, so you can take the tires off, that
thing probably gets hotter than hell and will stabilize it so you don't have
any drunken accidents :o :o :o .

Bucket Head
01-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Will that arch require the reflective DOT red and white conspicuous stickers? Just wondering.

You might just have something there. They make tow behind smokers, BBQ grills and hot dog carts. Why not evaporators?

Can't get the sap to the evaporator? Then take the evaporator to the sap!

Let us know how it works. Good luck.

Steve

Stickey
01-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Well I plan to insulate it with fire brick so it doesn't "melt down". I did think about leveling legs but that will come later, I'll just be happy to get it together before the first boil. I might incorporate a storage tank, probably just 2- 55 gallon drums. Then I'll be fully Mobile.
Part of the floor is plywood so I plan to draft the firebox from beneath the Flue.
It has a storage box for boiling tools.
I guess it'll need a cooler for the boiling sodas.
I actually met a guy with a oil drum evap. on an axle last year. It was a rainy day, so I couldn't boil being outside. I took a ride looking for "steam" and boy did I see it rolling out of this fellas garage door. Well I stopped and checked out the rig, great concept. It'll be nice to get out of the weather if need be, but boiling outside on a sunny day is kinda magical too.

Stickey
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
She's coming along. Went to goodriches to get fire brick last weekend, they said I was the fourth sugarer to come in for em that day. Did a bunch of welding last weekend, should be able to finish her up this week (if the weather cooperates). Gotta get the pans bent though!