PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Buckets

PoorFarmFarmer
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Was wondering people do for cleaning buckets? Anybody use pressure washers? pros? cons? or do you need an actual "bucket washer" pto driven or manual scrubbing? I'm going to have 500 to 700 so manual sounds a bit daunting. thanks for any tips.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
We used to wash 1500 buckets and covers in 2 days (between chores with a break for lunch, about 10 hrs total) Used a crew of 3 or 4. All were washed by hand with a scrub brush in hot water and my Dad preferred "Spic and Span" detergent. They went from the soapy water to a 140 degree rinse and then were stacked to dry. Plastic aprons help a lot.

unclebuck
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
we do 175 buckets by hand washing as soon as the season is over.We wash them in a 55 gallon drum mixed with 1 gallon of uncented bleach then triple rinse in three more barrels.once tried to use a power washer but got more splash back than it was worth.
be sure to turn them upside down to air dry and make sure they are completly dry before stacking them.some were damp and the next season there was rust coming thru these new wheeling galvinized buckets was not a happy camper

mountainvan
01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I soak them in a stock tank, 150 gals water 1/2 cup bleach, then put them on the sawbuck and blast with a pressure washer. I can do a couple hundred in a couple hours.

Big_Eddy
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
I use a bucket brush on a cordless drill, and 2 large Rubbermaid bins. Warm water with a bit of dish soap in the first, rinse water in the second.
Dip the bucket in the soap, dump out most of it - drop the brush in and spin (slow speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) for 30 seconds, dump out and drop into the rinse. Kids pull them out of the rinse and stack them upside down on the snow to dry. Rubber boots, neoprene gloves and a good pair of water resistant snow pants. 100 buckets in about 2 hours.

I used an electric drill one year - not a good idea - it ended up submerged in the rubbermaid.:o

I have used the pressure washer - it works. If you plan to use one, wear safety glasses, and make sure you wear a glove on the hand holding the buckets at arms length. A pressure washer will easily blast through your skin.

In my experience the bucket brush in the drill does a better job of taking everything off, and while I still get wet, I don't get soaked. Plus it's a lot quieter.

Hurry Hill Farm
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
5 gallons of very hot water + mix of 1 drop Dawn (ONLY one drop) and 1 capful of Unscented Clorox + let em soak 5 minutes with 3 inches of mix and then put mix into next bucket and wash bucket with bucket brush in clean, very hot water (my washer is homemade - old vertical motor in tub with , homemade cover). As the bucket is allowed to spin in the "bucket tub" the outside of the bucket is cleaned also. Then double rinse in cold water (immerse entire bucket). Cold water will take off any soap residue (hot water will not and a waste of hot water. Save your hot water for the soak.) Air dry and the clorox will evaporate. I do 800 buckets with a crew of 4 in one long day or two short. ps always feed the help.

Mark-NH
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You stole my idea. I was thinking about buying a bucket washer brush and run it with a cordless drill. The brush cost $90.00 though so I was hesitant to spend the money without knowing if it worked.

So you say it works well? Give me the green light and I'll feel better about spending my money.

Thanks,
Mark

Fred Henderson
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I built my bucket washer from a 55 gal plastic food grade barrell. We use dishwasher soap and double rinse in clear water. Last year 3 of us did 500 buckets in 3 hours.

KenWP
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
And how do you keep this electric drill dry washing buckets. I thought of that also until I figured out how wet things get.

Bucket Head
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I would be interested in seeing some pictures of everyone's homemade washers. Can some pics be posted?

Steve

Big_Eddy
01-29-2010, 08:34 AM
KenWP - SLOW SPEED - use a drill with a 300rpm max speed and there will be no issues. Spin at 1000rpm and water will be everywhere. I drop 4-5 buckets in the tank, grab the drill in one hand, grab a bucket in the other and drain it till there's about 1" of water in it - stick the brush in it for 30 seconds - then dump the remaining liquid out and drop the bucket in the first rinse bin. After I've done all 5, I leave the brush in the corner of the first bin with the drill hanging on the edge, then move over and double rinse, then distribute the buckets onto the snow and go get another 5 to toss into the soap bin. If the kids are helping me - they take care of the rinsing and adding new buckets to the first bath.

Dave Y
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a buckey washer that was made from a syrup barrel. Electric motor an a 10 in pulley and you are in business. The weight of the motor holds the belt tight. I can do 500 in a few hours with one helper. some one to rinse and stack. I can bury them with buckets kwik if I have the mind to. But usally dont as I want to keep my help.