PDA

View Full Version : Coated jugs

syrupmaker
02-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Any body out there have the scoop on the Sugarhill XL jugs. These are the ones that are supposed to have a oxygenberrier coating to help prevent grade change in the jugs. Is this true or are we just paying a higher price for someone else's pipe dreams ?

Rick

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I knew i had the patent# somewhere to the XL syrup jug- Go to the us patent office website and look up # 5085034 for the patent. Should tell you all about it.

wdchuck
02-19-2005, 12:46 PM
We've been using the Sugarhill XL now for about 5 years and have had not a single problem! I highly recommend them. We used another manufacturer's jugs prior to that and refunded a ton of money to unhappy customers.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-19-2005, 07:50 PM
I used to use the Vermont Bacon jugs and they worked well, but had a lot of syrup darken on the shelf in them. So now I am converting to all the VMSMA Sugarhill XL containers because I've heard lots of good about them because of that extra barrier. So far what I have done I have had good luck but it will take longer to really tell. As far as the barrier itself, if you hold the container up to any light it should have a shiny outside (the extra layer). And to me, if they cost a tiny bit more, but your customers are happy because they aren't getting darker syrup, that should be a good thing.

brookledge
02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
The xl coating does work. It adds to the cost. I have used both. The regular containers do all right as long as they are kept in a dark enviroment. Also if you rotate your stock and date stamp your containers it will help. If you use a regular jug and leave it on the shelf the color will drop a grade in 4-6months. If you can as you need you can usually get away with the reg. jugs but if you are going to have on the store shelf I would recomend the XL
Keith

mapleman3
02-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Keith, Are the Ma. Maple jugs XL??, they have the shiny outside...I didn't know about the XL till this thread

brookledge
02-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes all of mass maple jugs are coated

syrupmaker
02-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Well i went and grabbed a couple of the jugs we have and i think i see the difference. We have a couple 1/2 pints that have a dull plastic finish,all the rest have a sheen to them. Guess we had them and didn't know it. Have had good luck with those we have used. Thanks for the info guys !

Rick