PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put a thermometer on a half pint?

Farmboy
01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a half pint. Where do I put a thermometer in it. I have a very nice food grade digital one but it doesn't have threads and my half pint doesn't have ports for a thermometer. Pix would be helpful. Thanks farmboy

KenWP
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Man I could go so many places with this guestion. I made a stick like I seen at pictures on here of some syrup meeting. You drill a hole in it the size of the probe and rig it so the probe just about touches bottom and away you go. I would still be holding a thermometer in syrup if I hadn't seen that picture and made the same.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
You need one of the stainless clips that slide up and down the thermometer stems so you could clip it to the side of the drawoff box and it is long enough it should go thru the hole in the drawoff box into the syrup pan.

johnallin
02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
If you are still looking here is a picture of what I installed on my half pint. I installed a 1/4" threaded fitting right next to the draw off and put the thermometer there.
Best bet for drilling the hole was a step drill - used one that went from 1/8 - 1/2". Back the pan up with a piece of 2x and it only takes a minute for a perfect hole.