PDA

View Full Version : Test boil on my new 2x6

heus
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Boiled on my Patrick Phaneuf 2x6 raised flue this evening. Started with approximately 120 or so gallons of water. This thing really boils. Looks like I do have some room for improvement, however. Some of the wood I used was too big. Definitely burned hotter with smaller pieces and more frequent firing. I sure hope I left enough in the pans to cool everything down. The problem is it is in the teens tonight, so I have to strike a balance between not burning the pans and not letting them freeze up. I assume the firebricks and sand will hold enough heat throughout the night to keep it from freezing. I am going to check on it tonight around midnight to make sure the water level is not too low. Then I will empty the rest of the water in the morning. Can't wait to begin the season.

heus
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
When I went back at 10pm the firebricks were still too hot to keep my hand on them. This morning I was happy to see that I still had enough water to cover the flues and syrup pan bottom, but it didn't get cold enough to freeze. Got down to 12-15 degrees last night. I drained all of the water out of it.

3% Solution
01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
heus,
Now that is the best example of chomping at the bit I can think of.
Of course there's nothing wrong with it!!
Glad to hear it's going to work for you.
Still got a few more weeks here!

Dave

maple ridge tappers
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Here in north central Wisconsin, we won't start tapping until mid March. But listening to all you comrades out there doing these test boils really gives me the itch!:mrgreen:

maple marc
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Heus,

If it gets cold enough for me to worry about the pans freezing, I put a heat lamp under the pans for the night. Works really well for my 2x4.

Marc

PerryW
01-28-2010, 06:05 AM
During the season, I just run the flue pan down as shallow as I can and let her freeze up solid. There is enough flex in the flues to allow expansion from the freezing.