PDA

View Full Version : New to running tubing

Leadft
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
I have some road side trees that are grouped together and I would like to run the larger groups into a barrell instead of dumping all thoose buckets.. Some have 6-15 xlarge trees with 4 gravity taps each. I also have to go look at a woods this weekend that I was informed was a sugar bush some years ago.

On a gravity feed how many taps can be run to one 5/16" line ?

Is there any standard used to know what size main line to use for the # of taps in a run ?

How many 5/16 lines can be ran into one main line of each size 1/2", 3/4" and 1"... ect.

Will 1/2" mainline be enough to run into a 55gal barrel ?

Does the mainline have to be run with wire? or can it be strecthed from tree to tree and still flow properly ?

New to using tubing. I appreciate Everyone's help !!

gator330
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
For gravity run 5-8 taps per 5/16 line some run 50 think you get to much back presure with that many.

For the group of trees just run the 5/16 tube with 4-5 taps right to the drum.

If your going to take the time to run a main 3/4 or bigger. Use the wire to hold it up and tight.

You can run 1/2 to 55 gallon, but how many taps are you shooting for? I have 100 on a 1/2 main. If your doing that you need a bigger tank. 55 gallons will fill up three times on a good run with just 80-100 taps in one day.

maple flats
01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
On gravity generally go up to 10 maybe 15 taps unless real steep incline for natural vacuum on a 5/16 line (called "lateral") I am not sure of 1/2" but you can run way more than you would ever want on a 3/4". Fittings for connecting to 1/2 are limited but some do exist. Even a 1/2" to a 55 gal bbl would handle as many as you would ever want to run into one bbl. Remember, unless you can collect every few hours, you will get 1-2 gal on many good runs per tap. Sometimes even more but rarely. I tend to run up to about 30 max on a 55 gal and I can collect 2x daily when conditions are right. Sap sometimes runs good all night so you want to figure that in. Do you want to collect at 2AM? As far as running on wire, it has been the norm. However there is a new tubing out called Rapidtube that is supposed to stay tight and hang right without a wire. I will wait for the jury on that. If you are steep enough you might even be able to go black plastic without wire but not on flatter ground. Remember, you do not want any low pockets holding sap to warm and degrade or spoil. You want it to flow out as efficiently as possible. As to lines into any size tubing it is not figured that way. You have guidelines as to max. taps per each size based on grade (slope %) To reference that info either get a "bible" called The North American Maple Producers Manual" or I think you can get the info on line. I will test that and list a link here if I get it. Before I had a full tubing set system, I used to run into bbls and still have a few in my smaller woods where I do not bhave the big concentration of sugar maples but rather small pockets. On one of 21 taps I have no main line, but have 4 latterals branching out from the barrel which is placed in the lowest section and the laterals pick up the 21 taps, with laterals having 4,5,5, and 7.
Good luck

Bucket Head
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm not going to debate wether its right or wrong, but I'll tell you what I have on a single 5/16 line.

I have two separate, single line, 300 ft. runs on a pretty good downhill slant. One has 31 taps on it and the other has 44 taps. I have two 55gal. barrels at the end of each run at the roadside. (one barrel is set up on cement blocks so it is higher than the other and I have an overflow line going to the second barrel)

On the "big runs", once or twice a season, the 44 tap line will fill the two barrels. The 31 tap line comes real close. Its better to have what you think is too much capacity for storage than not enough.

I originally had only one barrel at each point. It hurts to see sap running over and out of a collection vessel and seeing the ground wet all around it.

Steve

PerryW
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
On a gravity feed how many taps can be run to one 5/16" line ?

I try to limit 5/16" lines to 20 taps but have 30 on some.

Is there any standard used to know what size main line to use for the # of taps in a run ? They used to say a 1/2" gravity line would handle 200 taps.

How many 5/16 lines can be ran into one main line of each size 1/2", 3/4" and 1"... ect.

There is really no limit, but stick to less than 200 gravity taps on 1/2" and 400 gravity taps on 3/4" and you should be fine.

Will 1/2" mainline be enough to run into a 55gal barrel ?

It will be fine. Or just use 2 or three 5/16" lines.

Does the mainline have to be run with wire? or can it be stretched from tree to tree and still flow properly ? I run mine with wire, but for my "take-down" tubing, I try to stick to 5/16" lines because they are easier to deal with (put up, roll up, wash, etc)

gator330
01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Well there you have it. I think the main thing is just slope keep it running down hill is about all you need to do. A little bit of every thing seems to work. The big thing to me as bucket head said is collection storage hate to see sap on the ground. I have a lot of slope and a lot of trees one day I am going to go to the top and work my way down with 500' of 5/16 and put as many as I can on it just to see what will happen.

PerryW
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I think there are at least 30 taps uphill of where this video was shot:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=MapleSapLinesRunning.flv

Even with that many taps and things are running full tilt, if I pull a spout, there is still some natural vacuum.

Leadft
01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
There is allot of usefull info that I appeciate very much... As in everything one question answered usually bring up more..

I want to try and run just 1 5/16" line in one place due to it's large amount of drop from the first tree to the place the bbl will be placed... I will go to the local sugar supply house today and pick up the book that was recomended.. I've seen it and even read parts of it from the one my cusin has but it sounds like I need one of my own... LOL !!!

If I run this 5/16" line with I'm guessing somewhere around 30 taps into it with probable a 8' fall from start to finish... I start the line at the farthest tree with some of the "y" barbs I have purchased... What do I use at the other end to keep the line tight from tree to tree??? Do I use the same thing on the last tree closest to the bbl ??? I can't use the bbl as a tie off it will not hold much when it's empty or do i drive in a "t" post next to it ???

I feel the same way about seeing sap run on the ground when I go to collect... I am thinking towards trying to get enough capacity to be able to collect just once a day on the average and deal with the "run" days as they appear...

Does anyone have any tips or pix on ganging multi bbl's together ??? I have an Idea but I'm just looking for some tips from experiance??

Thanks again for everyone's help...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
A "Y" fork would be good at the barrel and just sit the barrel beside the tree. This will keep you lateral nice and tight and allow the sap to flow right thru center of fitting.

PerryW
01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Pull your 5/16 line tight and cut it so the output end is approximately over your barrel and install a 5/16 straight-thru connector on the end (one of these)

http://www.okhardwarestore.com/main/img_1184551219_15466_1232133092_mod_223_108.jpg

Now hook a piece of electric fence wire through the nail hole in the connector and pull it tight and wrap it around a tree that is beyond your barrel.

Now hook a short piece of tubing to the other end of the connector and run it into the barrel.

Of course WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER's idea is easier, but only works if your barrel is near a tappable tree.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
It wouldn't have to be a maple tree to use the "Y" fork at, just a tree over 3 or 4 inches to hold the lateral tight. A lot of the time I bring the laterals into a mainline, the tree I use a "Y" fork on is not a maple.