PDA

View Full Version : any one tapping in ct yet

sugar man
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
for the past three years i have tapped the first weekend in feb just would like to know if any one is going to or go another week or so.:) :)

ebourassa
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
the guy up the road put in 2000 taps friday, they are all on vacuum. i plan on tapping sometime in feb usually the 2nd weekend
erik

Saw Filer
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I may tap some this weekend if I can get all my waterfowl to line up. We usally tap our sunny locations in the first week of Feb. We are watching the weather to know for sure. Feel like we missed some this last week, but we also missed an oppurtunity to chase our buckets and covers in the rain.

george

Green Hollow Maple
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
We are also targeting the second weekend in February, however any signs of a favorable weather trend prior to that could change my tune. The only item left on the docket is to scrub the tanks.

Logscaler
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Sawfiler - you mean ducks right? :lol: You back to work yet? We are dead in the water here - won't be much going on this year. Give me a call and I will fill you in!

Frank Ivy
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Some folks around here threw up the lines last week when we had 2 or 3 days above freezing.

Now it's looking like all sub 32 for the next 10 days.

Any big disadvantage to tapping too early?

killingworthmaple
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Not yet in the Killingworth Madison area it was hard to hold back last week. I am going to check the 10 day weather on Sat. and if it looks good I may tap this weekend.

Nathan

ctjim
01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
have not tapped yet here in lebanon/salem. all my gravity lines are up and still getting a few things ready at the shack. hoping for some good weather around the 2nd/3rd week of feb thats when we tapped last year, usually shoot to have all taps in around that time. after tomorrow looks like the weather is going to turn colder for the next week or so. take care jim

markct
01-29-2010, 09:04 PM
its supposed to be in the single digits this weekend so im gona hold off of course, all thats left to do here is wash two tanks and 3 barrels, hope to do that the next mild day i get, have some more tubing to put up to, but not a neccesity, just some i would like to add onto if the time allows, have around 400 taps as it is so not the end of the world if i dont get a couple dozen more.

DaveB
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
No tapping yet for us...I usually plan on tapping the 2nd or third week of February, depending on the weather. I still have some things to get ready, so I hope it'll hold off!

Interestingly, I went up to Bascom's this past weekend and they have already started tapping! I was kind of surprised to see their taps in, but I think they have like 70,000 taps so I can see it taking a while to get them in.

Dave

markct
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
yea it takes me a bit of work to put in my 300 taps last year, so i hate to imagine 70 thousand taps! and this year i added about 100 more, but it should be a bit easier cause i went thru and cut alot of brush along the lines

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I went up to Bascom's this past weekend and they have already started tapping! I was kind of surprised to see their taps in, but I think they have like 70,000 taps so I can see it taking a while to get them in.

It is not uncommon for the very large producers (number of taps, not girth) to start tapping very early. Some producers up here (northern Vermont)start tapping just after the New Year in order to finish in time for the season to start in late-Feb to early-March. If they get a few runs during thaws...all the better.

DaveB
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM
It is not uncommon for the very large producers (number of taps, not girth) to start tapping very early. Some producers up here (northern Vermont)start tapping just after the New Year in order to finish in time for the season to start in late-Feb to early-March. If they get a few runs during thaws...all the better.

That's pretty interesting. I had no idea that you could do that. What's the harm then in tapping in January every year and being ready for the first few good runs? I know you can't tap when it's too cold, but wouldn't the early taps dry out? If they will run for 4-6 weeks once the season starts, why wouldn't everyone tap in January?

Dave

Tanta K
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
http://brooksvale.org/images/photos/sugaring/Copy_of_snowday_007.jpg Tapped today at the Brooksvale Sugar Shack in Hamden. No sap but 73 children plus teachers and chaperones coming to the park to learn about Maple Sugaring. We had sap Feb. 8 the last two years, we'll see what Monday brings.

markct
02-06-2010, 12:02 AM
wow interesting design of sugarhouse, converted animal barn or just unique design? yea im getting the itch to tap too! i boiled some water on mine today to get it cleaned out and test my new preheater i made to go in the hood, 180 degree sap coming out of it so i considered the preheater a success!

maplemaple2020
02-06-2010, 10:09 AM
i haven't really taped yet iv only taped 2 trees on a baby tubing system i mean its so cold out at nite and day the sap cant run i cant tap to potential:cry::(:mad:

ctjim
02-08-2010, 05:21 AM
wow interesting design of sugarhouse, converted animal barn or just unique design? yea im getting the itch to tap too! i boiled some water on mine today to get it cleaned out and test my new preheater i made to go in the hood, 180 degree sap coming out of it so i considered the preheater a success!

not sure if that sugar house is a converted animal barn. but you can go check it out if you are ever in the southern part of the state its at brooksvale forest/park i believe in hamden ct?

Mike Van
02-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Still too cold, even the next 7 days show real cold nights [low teens] and days only getting to 30 or 32. Patience, patience..............:lol:

Tanta K
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Our Sugar Shack is actually a converted corn crib that was done by an Eagle Scout as his project. We did the cut out windows so classes we teach could gather around it and see inside without the danger of getting close to the fire. The kids are having a great time learning even though we boil water and no sap yet. I tell them I'm going to offer Sugar Shack Steam Facials to make money for my daughter's wedding! Maybe next week we'll have sap!

markct
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
yea these anxious moments of hurry up and wait,been busy getting all my tubing done and repaired and tanks washed just incase the weather broke early. now im basicly all set so just tinkering with little stuff in the sugarhouse now, and tig welded up a few syrup storage containers from old fire extinguishers.

Mike Van
02-09-2010, 05:23 AM
With the sloping sides, it had that corncrib look to it. I do hope you have enough steam ventilation, that pipe out the roof looks awfully small - :o

Littlesap
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Anyone tapping this weekend? Temps in the western part of the state by me look OK for next week... highs in the mid to upper 30's. I might put my buckets out this weekend and wait till next for my tubing experiment.

sugar man
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
we will most likley start this weekend hope the weather works in our favor.ben ready for weeks.:D :D :D

markct
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
the accuweather 15 day thing doesnt look very good for all 15 days nothing above 35 realy, so might be a late season this year

Mike Van
02-10-2010, 05:02 AM
And today - it's going to * snow ******************:cry:

killingworthmaple
02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
I can't wait any longer I am looking to tap sometime the end of this week to this weekend. I find that the sun is pretty warm these day I am hoping that if we get low 30s and no wind that it will heat the trees up enough to run. We will see.

Nathan

bucketeir
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
30x8 evap 1350taps looks like the weather is going to be in the teens at night and only low 30's during the day for the next 7 days, better to wait and have fresh taps for latter

unclebuck
02-11-2010, 06:56 PM
started tapping today after work got about 65 taps in and the sunny side of the trees were pouring sap. The other side just driping slowly. Will have all taps in by Saturday. Then boiling Sunday night.
Tom

Tanta K
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
A old Vermonter said to me in 1976 during my first visit to a real sugar house, "You spend Valentine's Day with your sweetheart giving her some sugar and then for the next 6 weeks she won't see you while you make some more!"

We're hoping to tap on Tuesday or Wednesday. We have hundreds of trees but only tap 25-40 of them depending on our staffing budget...town owned park you know. Our primary goal is education but...maybe I can squeeze in a few more hours at the Sugar Shack and tap a few more trees.

My sweetheart is pretty understanding!

markct
02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
the warm sun today had me wanting to drill holes as the water was running off the roof of all the buildings, but i know it still too early! not much warmth in the forecast

Farmboy
02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm on the MA CT line and l will be tapping the begining of this week. This weekend I'm getting the supplies and jugs I need. Hope it's a good saeson.

ctjim
02-12-2010, 04:56 AM
had the itch yesterday as it was warm in the sun but i'm still holding off and am going to wait til i see some better temps in the forecast. i did see some taps in the other day just around the corner from me, it was all the gravity lines but i think they start early since they have i believe over 1000 taps.

batsofbedlam
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Today's the day!

valleyman
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Just checked the 10 day. Hard to be accurate I know but it's looking like Thursday (2/18) thru the following weekend the temps will be close to the 40º mark. :D

markct
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
yea i see that too, thinking maybe this weekend after getting the last of my tanks hooked up i will tap atleast my bush that is all new tubing since those taps should last the longest, then maybe mid week if the weather still looks good i will do the rest in the afternoons

killingworthmaple
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I need 30 bucket covers any of you local CT guy have some you would like to sell. I would prefer the flat style with the pin but would consider others. Looks like this is the weekend for tappin.

Nathan Cell. 860-604-8115 or Email. nthhea@aol.com

markct
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I need 30 bucket covers any of you local CT guy have some you would like to sell. I would prefer the flat style with the pin but would consider others. Looks like this is the weekend for tappin.

Nathan Cell. 860-604-8115 or Email. nthhea@aol.com

might want to visit lamothes sugarhouse in burlington ct, he had a stack of buckets and covers for sale last time i was up there. open 10 to 5 sat and i believe 12 to 5 sunday, its the time of year they start giving tours and running the evap, altho of course just on water till another week or two. great people and a nice operation to check out

brettgrant
02-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Will be tapping in Windham this afternoon

sugar man
02-13-2010, 07:58 AM
on our way out the door to start tapping.let the fun begin.:) :) :)

Mike Van
02-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I've found that the noaa site has the most pessimistic weather reports going. They always seem to be on the low end. They forecast 28, it gets to 32, 32 it gets to 35. Lowballers, I guess.............:lol:

ebourassa
02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I am picking up supply tomorrow and test firing the evap. and hope to start tapping tomorrow afternoon and finish on monday, i am excited to see what my new preheater and hood will help me do.
Erik

sugar man
02-13-2010, 04:37 PM
put out 80 buckets.trees were running orderd 10 more.tomarrow might be 38 might be a good day:lol: :lol:

wkies
02-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Started tapping on Thursday and finished this afternoon. Total 320. Bring on the sap!

killingworthmaple
02-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Markct thanks for the info about bucket covers called him today and will be picking them up in the morning. Then going to tap.

Nathan

markct
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Markct thanks for the info about bucket covers called him today and will be picking them up in the morning. Then going to tap.

Nathan

yea he has alot of stuff, some used, as well as a full stock of tube and fittings,containers etc,and is reasonable on prices, sometimes a nickel higher,sometimes an nickel lower than bascoms etc, but always in the ballpark and its nice that he has regular store hours, i can go get equipment etc without having to call ahead and make an appointment like so many maple dealers. that kinda convenience is very valuable in my opinion

Tanta K
02-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Planning on tapping Tuesday unless the snow comes in then we'll hold off until the end of the week.

Brooksvale Sugar Shack - Hamden
25 Taps - Hundreds of untapped trees!
Over 500 children taught each year.
Hobby 1/2 pint evaporator, lots of wood.
Doing it the old fashion way!

Loun
02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
It looks like I will be tapping Thursday Morning as of now. I saw a bunch of buckets out on my street today :)

valleyman
02-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I set out 10 or so today in the late morning and got 3 gallons of sap after about 6hours. A few trees were flowing great.:D

killingworthmaple
02-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I put in 40 taps this morning and some of the trees are were running already 40 more in the morning. I don't know just got this feeling I be boiling Tue. night. We will see I will post results.
Nathan

Littlesap
02-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Put out 35 buckets today... would have tapped more but I couldn't find the rest of the lids:lol: Planning on 50 buckets and another 50-60 on my great tubing experiment. Since this is my second year and first year with a legit sugar house and evaporator, I'm having some technical difficulties plumbing my feed tank to the evaporator. Where do you guys get your valves and which kind do you get? Plastic, brass or SS? what about the other plumbing... plastic, braided, copper? I'm not much with torch.

markct
02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
i went today and put out my 5 buckets on health spouts, there in a spot that would be hard to tube since its across an access road, but there right near where i pump out my tank so while its pumping into the truck i gather the buckets. i put them out tho first usualy to see how the sap is flowing, tapped at 1 pm and by 3:30 they each had about 3/4 of an inch in the bottom of the bucket, so not too bad. then cleaned out my new 150 gal milk pasturization tank and set it in place with the loader and plumbed the mainline and the 3 5/16 lines that meet there, just screwed a star right into the top cover of the tank. should keep the sap alot cooler than barrels! and the stainless tanks clean so easy i love them! i think i will tap sometime midweek if the weather still looks favorable. usualy get outa work by 3 wednesday so might start the drilling then

littlesap, i plumbed my feed line with 3/4 copper, preheater and everything from the feed tank is copper. brass ball valves sweated into the line, and short sections of 7/8 id silicone hose with hose clamps for couplings to the preheater and float box to take it apart easy and to allow for misalignment.

markct
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
yea and for those that may have noticed there is no valve on the bottom of the tank, its cause i took off the old brass one that was stuck and had something missing from the bottom it appears, and of course was an outlet of milk tank thread too, thats the picture on the left, the second picture is the solution i made up, just a section of 1/4 inch stainless plate that i drilled and tig welded a 1 inch pipe nipple to so i can screw on a standard ball valve. just waiting on getting two stainless 1/2 inch bolts to bolt it on with, those should be here tuesday along with a camlock fitting to go on the ball valve to suck it out with

valleyman
02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Like I mentioned yesterday I got a few gallons off the taps I set out. That was for a six hour span roughly 10-12 buckets. I dumped them at 6pm

This morning I start the car and figure let me just check the 6 buckets across the street. Holy cow I had a good 4 gallons from just those few from the overnight! It looks like a great start for me.

I set out 5 more this morning near where I work:)

I'm so busy with life its hard to find time enough. I still need to get another 15 - 20 out.

I'm trying to stockpile it until the weekend but IDK, may have a late nighter mid week. I do have the storage tank in deep snow/ice pile.

Mike Van
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I got mine in today, a few over 60. I lost track. It is running pretty good. Better than I am, my butt is dragging. :lol:

Loun
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Both me and my girlfriend are going up to MA until Wed night. So it doesnt make sense to tap today. This weather is absolutely killing me though. I want to be out there getting it all done now. Its worse than xmas morning!

Loun
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I decided to tap a few. I got maybe 10-12 taps in. 1 might be leaking so I will have to check and retap if necessary. (first timer) Could see sap in the line immediately though on most of them. Only reason I stopped was the drill that im using sucks... so need to buy a new one and continue tapping when I get back into town :)

KenWP
02-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I decided to tap a few. I got maybe 10-12 taps in. 1 might be leaking so I will have to check and retap if necessary. (first timer) Could see sap in the line immediately though on most of them. Only reason I stopped was the drill that im using sucks... so need to buy a new one and continue tapping when I get back into town :)

And what would you do with the holes you already drilled if you retap.They will pour sap like no tomorrow. Just check the others for tight and they usually stop leaking after a while. Better a small leak then then sap all over the place wasted instead.

Mike Van
02-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Loun, you really don't want to retap? As in drill new holes in the same tree? If you pull the taps you have in, those holes will just gush sap for the whole season. If your taps don't fit the holes you drilled, oval, or wobbly holes? I'd try teflon tape, or something around the tap. A very small leak around the tap will seal itself in a few days. Driving the taps to far/hard will also split the hole.

Loun
02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
the one leaking is a health spout so I could technically just drive it and use one of my other spouts but I will leave it and let it seal. I was having drill issues and likely ended up making the end of that hold oval. I am bringing down a more powerful drill when I come back in a couple days.

-Lou

ebourassa
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I put in 200 taps so far, it was running pretty well, i still have another 200 to do on wed. I would of tapped the rest today but i am waiting on my health spout adapter to arrive hopefully tom. weather is looking good thurs through sunday, i am hoping for a weekend boil.
Erik

markct
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
i tapped in one section of my woods, tapped when i got home about 4 and by 5:30 when i was done there was about an inch in the bottom of my 150 gal tank so hope to do the rest tommorow if this snow storm aint crazy, or maybe wednesday instead

Green Hollow Maple
02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
The pan has been sweetened and we broke into the Light Amber column with 2 gallons last evening.

valleyman
02-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Green hollow

You Bum!!:D I'm jealous

That's Great. I have to hold off until this weekend.

Green Hollow Maple
02-16-2010, 09:30 AM
We were fortunate enough to catch some decent sap Sunday and Monday. It's all downhill from here...:rolleyes:

Saw Filer
02-16-2010, 07:31 PM
We put in about 100 taps over the weekend, all the spots we hope will run early. Didn't have 20 gallons of sap by Mon. nite. Oh well, we tried. Still have 70 or 80 or maybeeee... 100 more to do, probably this weekend if its not running to hard as the weather may treat us better towards the end of the week.
wishing everyone a GREAT season
george

wkies
02-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Boiled about 110 gallons today - another 80 or so tomorrow. The pan has been sweetened. It looks like the rest of the week into the weekend should be good as well.

Tanta K
02-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Put in 25 taps today and have 5 more to do tomorrow across the road. After 3rd tap went in I had 2 moms and four kids who had been sledding in the new fallen snow asking me a zillion questions. I love it! We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully lots and lots of sap!

sugar man
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
picked up about 50 gal sap today .hope to get 75 gal tomarrow. hope to light a fire tomarrow:D :D :D

markct
02-17-2010, 07:57 PM
i got in about 380 taps all together now, about another 100 to go, didnt realy run much today a few trees were just dripping a tiny bit. the sun was out bright this morning so i thought it might be a good day, but then it got cloudy the rest of the day and never over about mid 30s so hopefully tommorow will be better!

Mike Van
02-18-2010, 04:53 AM
5:00 AM here, just 30F. No big chill last night, so today might be the day it takes off here.

Green Hollow Maple
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Sap is flowing pretty well in Central Village :)

markct
02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
got all my taps in today, my line of 300 taps had about 50 gal in the tank, its in kinda a shaded area the whole woods so that always seems to not flow as soon as the other areas. it was still running good tho when i checked it about 5:30 so maybe get some more into the evening. hope tommorow goes well too and flows good then boil saturday maybe. all together i have 480 taps this year, so with my 2x8 i shouldnt have the problem i did last year, not enough sap cause of the crappy weather. i may have way too much but thats ok too!

Mike Van
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM
It was a not so sappy crappy day here in Kent. Most of the day, no sun, north wind. Ahh, it'll come, it always does.

ebourassa
02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
mark i'm with you i would rather have too much then not enough sap, thats why i am pushing it this year with somewhere aroun 420-30 taps this year on a 2x6, i dont mind boiling to the wee hours of the morning anyways,
good luck
Erik

Littlesap
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I had high hopes all day at work and a little dissappointed when I got home tonight. Maybe 10 gallons on 44 buckets :( A few of my lower producing trees have their roots in a seasonal pond, maybe that's the reason.

Putting up my first tubing this saturday, shooting for 50, maybe 60.

batsofbedlam
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Today was a good day in Chaplin. 340 taps on vacuum. I picked up 280 gallons in the early afternoon. Sugar content 2.4%, much, much better than last year. Six hours later and the sap is still flowing. Lots to boil tomorrow.

Saw Filer
02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I just wanted to share my method of insuring that I have way too much sap. On days like today, early in the season when I check my sap I say,"It should have run today! I won't have enough to boil for another week at this rate!! I need more taps!!!" So I tap some more. Then the first time it really does run I say"OMG!! What have I done!!!"
Didn't run much here today, too windy I think. I'll tap some more this weekend.

george

Tanta K
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Finally, a little bit dripping today. Buddy collecting in the afternoon, then again tomorrow. Hope to boil Saturday. Should Maple Sugaring be an Olympic Sport maybe?

markct
02-20-2010, 08:16 AM
what a surprise to see my big tank has 125 gal in it from yesterday! didnt know how it would do with the wind and all but looks like i will be boiling today!

ebourassa
02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
i was surprised also with the wind that the trees were running, i think i have about 200-250 to boil late this morning (waiting for my mother in law to get here to watch the kids) wife works every sat., (someone has to work so i can afford this hobby )Lol.

Mike Van
02-20-2010, 04:44 PM
No frost last night, those weather people are so full of b.s. :lol:

sugar man
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
got about 127 gal of sap today.boiled 5 1/2 hours.made 13 pints of light amber,wife says its the best syrup ever.:D :D :D :D

markct
02-20-2010, 06:43 PM
No frost last night, those weather people are so full of b.s. :lol:

yea i figured that was the problem, didnt get to check my tanks last night, and was surprised to find about 350 gal total today, about 50 of that was from the day before. but then today was nice and sunny and hardly any ran, so i guess they just ran thru the night then nothing today much, about 40 gal more this afternoon i picked up but still sweetened the pans and made about 3 gal syrup

killingworthmaple
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I boiled about 160 gallons today on my new 2x6 wow what a joy to boil on. Last year was I was using a 20in.x 4. I was all done and ran out of sap before I knew it and still had time to take the family out of dinner. No more late nights for me.

Nathan

wkies
02-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Not a great run today. I thought it was going to pour out but I don't think it got cold enough last night. Hopefully it will get chilly tonight and reset the trees.

I've made about 5 gallons so far. Fancy, fancy, fancy!

Mike Van
02-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Sunday AM, one has 31.5 the other just 32. Won't know for a few hours if thats enough of a freeze.

markct
02-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I boiled about 160 gallons today on my new 2x6 wow what a joy to boil on. Last year was I was using a 20in.x 4. I was all done and ran out of sap before I knew it and still had time to take the family out of dinner. No more late nights for me.

Nathan

yea i thought the same thing when i bought my 2x8 that i could just boil a few hours and be done since i was gona have way less taps than max for a 2x8 well now i have worked my way up to nearly 500 taps so im sure i will have some late night boils on the good runs!

markct
02-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Sunday AM, one has 31.5 the other just 32. Won't know for a few hours if thats enough of a freeze.

dont know about your house but here in northfield its running pretty good despite the wind, about 30 gal off 300 taps on my big line, the others are all trickling in well too so i guess it froze enough, altho this wind concerns me a bit

wkies
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Another less than spectacular run. Thought was going to be a grand day at the evaporator today and tomorrow but less than 40 gallons collected today. When I got up this monring it was 30 degrees and mid-40s all day with sun. But I guess it did not get cold enough last night. Curious to know how others fared. I'm in the extreme SW corner of the state not sure how temps and runs were in your neck of the woods?

treehugger
02-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Im in central ct, it was flowing end of week so i tapped a few more yesterday and nothing then and still noting today out of the taps from earlier this or new ones

ebourassa
02-21-2010, 04:18 PM
nothing flowing much here, i did pick up close to 300 gal from thurs and friday run, but not much since, i was hoping to boil all weekend but at least i got to boil sat for 7 hrs. the new hood and preheater work great i was averaging 46 gph, hope to hit 50gph when i fine tune everything.

Mike Van
02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
There was no true "frost" last night, even though the temp was 31 or so. The light breeze I guess? No run here today either. If the wind dies tonight, and the sky stays clear, it should get low enough - You want to see the frost on the roofs, etc. tomorrow morning.

markct
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
yea mike i only got about 70 gal off all my taps today, gona wait till tommorow after work to start the evaporator, its already down to 29 here right now so i hope tonight will freeze up and run tommorow good

Littlesap
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Put 35-40 gallons in my feed tank, opened the valve to the new 2x6 but didn't have enough to fire it up :mad:

How deep do you guys run your syrup pans?

wkies
02-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I keep about 1.5 inches in the syrup pan.

bradley12001
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm in the SE corner of the state and had a a major slow down this weekend. Its my first year doing this so was thinking this weekend would be good...guess I got more to learn!

ebourassa
02-21-2010, 09:15 PM
i start the season 1.5 in back and front pans, but as i feel more comfortable that everything is working right i will drop the back pan to about 3/4" and 1" in the front.

Mike Van
02-22-2010, 05:29 AM
We got the frost now! 20 this morning, & I can see frost all over the car outside. Today should be a good run, then it gets "iffy" with the storm coming in. Maybe it will miss us again, I could do without a lot of snow -

Littlesap
02-22-2010, 06:15 AM
OK, thanks, just nervous with this new rig. Maybe with today's run I'll have enough to sweeten the pans tonight.

ebourassa
02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
sap is running today not sure how much but it was flowing in pretty good, hope to boil it down tom.

wkies
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Having a pretty good here as well.

Tanta K
02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Will and others...I have the syrup depth discussion each year with a friend. Because we have the small Hobby 1/2 pint evaporator, over a wood fired arch, it is fairly simple to keep 1.5 inches in the pan and keep an eye on it. My friend always says inches in the pan and tells me I'm doing it worng. I think he walked away too many times and boiled over! And not to throw stones...yes, I did it once, my first season. Anyway, at the lower depth it boils off more efficiently and gives a more consistent type of syrup to make it all worthwhile to hover over it at that shallow depth. Know what I mean? And today, I almost got my first syrup...so tomorrow should be sweet.

markct
02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
i collected a bit over 200 gal and boiled it off tonight, made some medium amber, bottled up some of it in plastic and then saved 3 gal in a stainless barrel to let settle and bottle into glass later. and of course filled a dozen nips to give to friends

sugar man
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
will the sap ever rum again:cry: :cry: :cry:

markct
02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
will the sap ever rum again:cry: :cry: :cry:

it looks like since monday night i got maybe 70 gal between all my tanks, not great, but something. more than i expected with this wet dreary weather! hope to set up my new vac tank and pump this weekend, depending how wet and muddy it is down in the woods to get there with the loader tractor and put it in place. altho gota do some tig welding to it first to cover all the extra holes and adapt the drain outlet but shouldnt take too long.

wkies
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Its been real slow for me in Stamford as well. This weather has been a real drag. I've only made about 7 gallons (real nice Fancy) but in past years I've been at 20 -35 gallons at this point. Hopefully the second half of the season will open up.

Mike Van
02-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Once this big low pulls away, and the wind dies, we should have some 'normal'
weather again. Stupid groundhog.

Littlesap
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Any of you guys seeing yellowish sap after that big rain?? I dumped about 10 or 20 gallons today - may be fine but didn't want to chance it. Hoping tomorrow shapes up and I can boil on Sunday.

killingworthmaple
02-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes I dumped a lot 20 gallons or so. I think it may be rain running down the tree and finding a way in the bucket. Some of the buckets were fine some were yellow. The trees were running at 4:00. Maybe tomorrow will be a good run.

Tanta K
02-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Yellow Sap after the big rains. Collected 35 yesterday (we have only 30 taps) and have some extra chilled so I will boil today. Sun shining in Hamden, hoping we'll be turning the corner or we won't have any to sell on our open house day! I offer up other CT syryp but people want to take home a 1/2 pint of ours! We're flattered but do it more for education than profit. So goes the life of a sugar mistress. By the way...Female Sugarmakers Never Die - They Just Get Sweeter!

Mike Van
02-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Saturday noontime - Saps running now, best I've seen this season. :)

ebourassa
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
i was surprised too when i looked at the tank on how fastit was pouring in, should have 300-400 gal tom to boil down, its about time.

lafite
02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Collected 25 gallons today and will start cooking in the morning. I am maxed out at 40 taps and look forward to spending the day outside tomorrow.
I dumped all the yellow sap out and cleaned my materials before setting up again last night.

Today was a great sign of what we have been waiting for!

steve G
GBM 2' x 4' Evaporator
40 taps
Cheshire, CT

lafite
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know about miniscule black bugs that seem to arrive in the thousands? They surrounded one of my taps the other day and I've seen them during the summer on the shady side of my maples.

Steve G.
Cheshire

Mike Van
03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Steve - Maybe post your question above where the whole forum will read it - I've seen them on one tap out of 60+ that I have but don't know what they are.

MartinP
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Sounds like snow fleas. Google it and there are youtube vids of them.

lafite
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I believe those are the little Springtails I've been seeing!

Thanks for sharing!

markct
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
boiled off 250 gal sunday, then another 200 i got today! sunday had a bit of help from the new vac tank and pump, but till i get a vac regulator which should be here tommorow, i didnt want to leave it running unattended all day today so they just ran gravity. but by wednesday they should be working on vac!

Tanta K
03-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Snow fleas abound, the sap is running (though slowly) and I boiled all day yesterday. The wind was wreaking havoc on the buckets and I had straigten them out. Another quart or so is in the fridge awaiting bottling. We have more requests than I know we can fill for our upcoming sugaring day. Ahhh, such a problem to have.

dhbiker1
03-02-2010, 07:02 AM
I tapped Feb 19th just over 2 weeks ago, and these reds have been slow to start this year. I bet they'll be quick to dry up also! My vacuum has been running on and off as I deal with releaser and electric motor problems, but I am just about getting to the 100 gal. mark for sap. Another day or so and there should be enough to finally fire up and sweeten the pans. The weather has been good, but it amazes me to read about everyone collecting all this sap and I haven't gotten a gallon per tap in 2 weeks. I am hoping by saying this everything will now let loose and give me hell trying to keep up!

Enjoy the season!

ebourassa
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Just picked up 350 gal today and i am boiling now, i boiled 150 sunday. looks to be a late night hopefully i can get most of it boiled down we'll see, i was surprised they ran that good yesterday.

treehugger
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
dont know what to think about these trees. i have what i thought were all swamp maples(black maples)which i heard would work but only 2 out of about 10 taps are producing and was able to boil down a quart this weekend for a first timer it was fun hopefully will get plenty more and ive got the bugs too, but i here they are high in protein.......10-11 gal. made 30 oz.

ctjim
03-03-2010, 06:33 AM
treehugger what part of ct are you in? i was under the asumption that there aren't any black maples in ct, except for the far north west corner. w/ that being said is it possible that you have red maples? we have almost all reds and they are in swampy area and they act the same as what you have said, i get some full buckets and then i get some almost empty buckets. although i collected about 60 gal. off my 68 buckets yesterday all on reds. so far we have had a not so great season and my cousin just fired up the evap yesterday.

treehugger
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
im in portland. i had a tree guy here one day and he poited at a tree and called it a swamp maple which does give a decent amount, its the trees that i think look the same as that one and dont produce al the trees are in the yard or along the driveway.pretty much an average amount of water in both areas not that swampy

ctjim
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
ok so treehugger your in portland. i'd be willing to bet there are no black maples over there, i think what the tree guy meant by swamp maple is either a silver or red maple . what do the leaves look like in the summer months as the red and silver maples have very different leaves. either way they both are usable for production but as you're finding out not the best, but you make the best of the situation you have. good luck jim

treehugger
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
ya ill have fun with what ive got. it was the internet that told me that swamp maples were black maples but thats not important anymore all that matters is the fun of it anyway....cant wait to boil this weekend

Saw Filer
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Anyone noticed any moths this year?
george

Tanta K
03-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Tons of them!

Littlesap
03-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Moths, snow fleas... everything but sap this week. Today-Sunday look good then nada for a week :(

killingworthmaple
03-05-2010, 04:38 PM
ya that is the only thing I have been getting out of my buckets. I am afraid this is going to be a short season.

treehugger
03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
what happens if you leave the taps in and the temps are favorable as late as end of march

markct
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Moths, snow fleas... everything but sap this week. Today-Sunday look good then nada for a week :(

i never belived it till i tried it this year, but all them days ya will get sap with vac! last couple days my lines with vac ran about 3/4 gal per tap, and by comparison the best day my two other gravity lines ran less than 1/4 gal per tap on the best day, infact 2 of the days they didnt run any noticable amount at all, like maybe 2 gal off 75 taps, compared to 250 off my 300 on vac!

Mike Van
03-06-2010, 05:14 AM
what happens if you leave the taps in and the temps are favorable as late as end of march

No problem treehugger, they will still run when the sap does. As the weather gets warmer, some will just stop, as bacteria starts to heal the hole on the inside. When you get a good freeze & thaw but no sap, thats it for that one. Usually when you pull the tap, it'll run some more right from where the tap sealed against the edge of the hole, but no much or for long. Hey Mark, leave some sap in the ground for the rest of us!! :lol:

Littlesap
03-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Markct, not sure my set up is conducive to adding a vac but I'd like to see one in action, you mind a visitor? I Googled Northfield but it came back as near Stamford... is that right?

Anyone else using vac in western CT?

paqmom
03-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I've had thousands of snow fleas and more moths than ever! Granted, I'm moving deeper into our property than ever before but even last year, I didn't notice so many snow fleas.

ebourassa
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
checked the tanks tonight and only about 140-50 gals out 425 taps, not to impressed i dont know if it got to warm 56f was the high and 25 last night, i though for sure i would get at least 300 gal. the sap seems to run good when it not suppose to and not run good when its suppose to, like on monday with winds i picked up over 320 gal and today onlyh 150 i cant figure this out.

lafite
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
great day for a small producer. I maxed out today at 46 taps and collected 35 gallons in northern New Haven county. Just finished close to a gallon of incredible light/medium amber .

Please..another night like last!:)

treehugger
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
anybody still boiling

ebourassa
03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
not me, might CHASE THE SYRUP OUT THIS WEEK