PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a run yesterday

Snow Hill Farm
01-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Just curious if anyone was tapped and actually got a run with the warm weather in Vermont yesterday?

PARKER MAPLE
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Im Not Tapped Yet But Seriously Thinkng About It, But Will Probably Hold Out For Two More Weeks

farmall h
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
I tapped one tree...it bled but I have no idea for how long. Didn't put a bucket on.

DrTimPerkins
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Just curious if anyone was tapped and actually got a run with the warm weather in Vermont yesterday?

We have some test trees tapped for research. They ran an average of 2 gal of sap each over the past two days. Most of that was yesterday and overnight. It was barely warm enough today...and we got 4" of snow between 1-6pm, so too cold at that point.

We won't tap our regular production bush until around the 3rd week of February at the earliest.

Fairfield Sugarmaker
01-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Well from what i heard one of the neighbors had about 40000 gallons this morning and was throwing steam to the gods after lunch!!!

Snow Hill Farm
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I hated to ask but had to know... I'm still not ready, mostly done adding new main line and still have to install new (much shorter) branch lines. Planning on tapping the third week of Feb. also, hope we don't get any more warm weather!

Asian Long Horned Beetle
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
i have two test buckets on two 10" hard maples, one tree had about a half gallon and the other 1 quart. i thaught there might be more they were tapped 4 days ago and im right on the vt/mass line. the sugar was just under 2% and if i remember correct thats about like last year and last year was a low sugar % for me. any one else know how there sugar concentrat is looking so far.

KenWP
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
You guys are going to drive me to drink. Being just 8 miles north of the Vermont border and your talking maple already. I keep wondering if I am missing out . I am a couple of weeks away from even finishing the evaporator and am hopeing things don't start untill March like last year. We have less snow left here then we did when we got decent runs last spring. Of course the real good runs had bare ground and dry .

HazensNotchSugarShack
01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Kenwp I am just a little south of you by about 22 miles and in the same boat of not having everything done yet. Seemed like I would have had tons of time last april when I planned this expansion. But I found out that there is twice as much work to it as available time! I was also planning to tap 3rd week of feb but will watch the weather closely. Wishing everyone a great season with lots of sap!!

HHM-07
01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
I am about 40 miles southwest of you and a friend of mine up the road made 8 gals yesterday, don't think it will run much over the weekend

Dick

KenWP
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I won't get to worried about it now as it's going to get really cold for a while again. But the next thaw the trees get peforated just incase its the real deal. There is a little old lady in the library in Stanstead who told me that with buckets they used to get a run in febuary once in a while. They rent the trees out now to younger people.

farmall h
01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
kenwp, supposed to get nasty cold tonight. Wind chill that is. Trust me...it won't start happening 'till March. Last year we received what...28 inches to 32 inches of snow in March. I hate being on snow shoes. I'm at leat 55 miles from you..maybe more, but less than a hundred.

KenWP
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
At best 55 miles. it's only 75 miles from Newport to Burlington. I tapped March 5 last year and got sap finally by the 11. This year who knows. Guess work and farming are the meme choice me thinks.

Chad802
01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
sugaring starts around the first of march but doesnt really get going until the middle to the end of march, and we finish around the second week of april.

PARKER MAPLE
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
hoping to have all my tanks set cleaned and ready by this weekend, and watch the weather closly. id like to be tapped out but town meeting day here if not sooner.

Maple Ridge
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
i have two test buckets on two 10" hard maples, one tree had about a half gallon and the other 1 quart. i thaught there might be more they were tapped 4 days ago and im right on the vt/mass line. the sugar was just under 2% and if i remember correct thats about like last year and last year was a low sugar % for me. any one else know how there sugar concentrat is looking so far.

Mine is higher this year by about 1 to .5 percent. I also put in two test buckets 2/12. got about 2 gal. I cant wait any longer. I am doing it this weekend.

PARKER MAPLE
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
i ended up tapped my south facing trees on saturday (about 50-55 or so) and they ran a little on sunday and monday. im hoping that thursdays and fridays warm up will bring a run also, havnt tapped them all yet just seeing what these will bring me and when it starts running better then i will put the rest in.its been above freezing here for a couple of days, during the day so hopefully we will be in full swing soon. thursday looking like 38-39 friday 37-39
maaybe boiling saturday we"ll see..

good luck
m/r

michelle32
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Tapped in sunday. Got 100+ gallons on monday ran alittle today maybe 40 gallons in two hours then it froze up again. Rest of week looks good.

KenWP
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Was really warm here today with the gauge almost to 50 degrees. The forecast says that it's only supposed to be freezing. Time will tell whats going to happen. At least the trees are thawing out some and will be ready to go.

PARKER MAPLE
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
is it good that the trees only thaw out a little at a time? or should they just thaw all at once for a good run