PDA

View Full Version : Dividers in front pan

MartinP
01-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I am getting ready to put dividers in the front pan this week and have a question.
Which way would be the most benificial, fore and aft, or port to starboard? or does it not make a difference?
I plan on 2 dividers making 3 sections so the pan when rotated the inlet becomes the drawoff and vice versa.

Jim Schumacher
01-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Good questions. I must add one. Is it important to have them welded the entire length of the divider? Is it exceptable to stitch weld it leaving most of the divider unseamed but as tight to the bottom as possible?

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
2 points abaft the starboard beam mate.........do the port to starboard. You want a constant even heat so go red to green if it goes bow to stern it will boil differant and the syrup will not move the same if its going in and out of heat zones. Have you been watching too much Sponge Bob with the kids:lol: I YI Captain

xulgiy
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm sure somebody will contest this, but I flanged the ends and bottom. Punched 1/4" holes along the flanges and tacked them in. I get a great gradient without the bottom buckling like crazy due to a full weld.

Haynes Forest Products
01-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Xulgiy Thats a better way then blowing holes all over the edge. Im in the process of deconstructing a finish pan I burned and thay stitch weld the dividers,they do a 90 degree bend on all the drawoff boxs and outside weld them so from the inside you can see a unwelded seam.
In a small pan set with dividers there is a differant way of running the rig. once its up and running and your adding sap and drawing off your fine with a little mixing in the pans. When you shut down after the last draw off it will all mix over time. Now when you start the next boil it will be a short time and you will be making syrup in all the sections THATS FINE as soon as the sap starts to be added and you get to drawing off the rig will stabalize and your off and humming:)

BarrelBoiler
01-26-2010, 09:54 AM
hayes
the question of fore/aft or left/right has been asked before and i'm wondering why most of the ones i have seen are front/back not side/side? both ways have the possiblity of making syrup in the middle. just a question.

Haynes Forest Products
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I THINK WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILUER TO COMUNICATE. I call the flue pan the BACK PAN. So the flue pan goes back and forth/front to back and the syrup/finish pan (front pan) goes side to side:)