PDA

View Full Version : Waterloo Flue Pan Question

abovetheclouds2
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I have a homemade block arch that I have been using a 5' X 6' Waterloo Raised Flue Pan on for the past 2 years. I have never been sure what is the front and rear of this pan. One end has the flues exposed that I have been putting up against my syrup pan. I am considering turning the pan around since I am re-working my stack this year. It seems that I would get better draft and heat transfer if the heat goes through the flues and directly out the back and up my twin 10" stacks instead if being forced down to the bottom of the flues and up the stacks like it is now. Anyone familiar with this pan?

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Do you have only the flue pan MINUS the finish pans? Sounds like you are only using the FLUE pan. I do understand the Waterloo flue pan set up. Mine is reversable as far as side to side front to back. Are you using 2 10s because of space or cost? You want the heat/flue gas to go thru the flues and also the bottom of the flues to get all the surface area as possible. The arch should be very narrow in that area so the heat/gases are forced thru/past the flues Its all about surface area so use it all.

farmall h
01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Where is your float located? Should be on the back right. If so that is the back of the pan. Where is your flow pipe located? (the one you switch from side to side...generally opposite of your draw-off side) If it is in the back...than that is the back of the pan. Hope this info helps.

KenWP
01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Any chance you can tell the bacl of the pan by which end is closest to the stack.

Haynes Forest Products
01-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Now that I reread your post You mention that only one end has the flues OPEN but its a raised flue???????? is the section that is NOT OPEN the one with a drain that connects all the low points of the flues and would connect to the finish pans? If so that is the front closest to the finish pans.

PerryW
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I think he means the flues are open on the BOTTOM of the pan on one side (kind of like a drop flue).

Also, my Waterloo 3x7 flue pan has the float box on the Right side, but at the front.

3rdgen.maple
01-25-2010, 10:18 PM
The inlet for the float box could be on either side. They build them to your preference. I would see which end has the flue drain on it and call that the back. With that said I do think the opening is in the front so that gasses make and imediate contact with the flues and the closed off end in the back would restrict the gasses from exscaping faster so you get max heat transfer.

abovetheclouds2
01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Hanes, you are correct...only one end is open. The end that is not open has a channel at the very end of the pan that connects the the low end of all the flues together and also has the drain. Currently I have that end toward the back. At the front I am using the syrup pan tight against the open end of the flue pan to close off the open flues. This is a hillbilly setup that started with a syrup pan only with 2 - 8" dia stacks of household ductwork for stacks. I added the flue pan 2 years ago and am currently increasing the stacks to double 10" X 22'. I thought that if I turn the flue pan around, I can modify the back of the arch to take advantage of the open flues on that end for better flow through the flues. I had bought the pans at Bascom's without float boxes and fabricated my own without looking at a real evaporator! The syrup pan is a king that I have removed the boxes and relocated the inlets and have turned sideways to make a cross flow pan....it actually works pretty good! I have always been curious about the proper orientation of the flue pan.