PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Poconos

Maplewalnut
01-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Well sort of. Put in about 150 taps Saturday morning and turned on the vacuum. I love the fact that I put some ball valves in my bush to isolate different sections. Easier to find leaks and I plan to tap the north bush a little later than the south.

Really just need some juice to test run the new releaser/tank set up, pump line etc. Glad I did, went from a lapierre hobby releaser to a single full size lapierre mechanical. Dang does that thing expel some sap when it dumps! Needed to reconfigure my set up with splash guards immediately. My son was sitting on the edge of the tank when it dumped. More sap soaked him than went in the tank.

Sugar is almost 2% but they shut down overnight with a 30-40 mph east wind.

Brad
01-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Do you want to sell that hobby releaser?

Z/MAN
01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Brad, Where are you located in Northeast Pa? I'm just east of Scranton.
Paul

Brad
01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm right outside Clarks Summit. Near Lake Winola. I'm wondering if i'm ever
going to be ready to tap this year.

Brad
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm right outside Clarks Summit. Near Lake Winola. Have you tapped yet?

Z/MAN
01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Brad , I'm in Daleville, just past Moscow. No, I haven't tapped yet. We usually tap around Presidents weekend. What kind of setup do you have up there?
Paul

Brad
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm running a 2 x 6 leader with preheater & forced air. I've been putting in about 350 taps the last 5 yrs. or so. I'm trying to get vacum going for this year. I want to see 40% increase in sap that would be nice. I've been tapping anytime the weather is right after Feb 14th. seems to work out good so far.