PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ad

themapleking
02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I found this maple syrup jug with this statement on it.

Berkley & Jensen Guarantee
Berkley & Jensen maple syrup is made from the finest ingredients. Each Berkley & Jensen product is carefully developed to be of comparable quality to that of the leading national brand. If you find that this Berkley & Jensen product does not meet that rigorous standard, return it to us and we will gladly refund your money.

A product of USA and CANADA

My question is how many ingredients are there in 100% pure maple syrup? And who makes the leading national brand?
By the way the little bit that was in the jug did look and smell like maple syrup. I didn't taste it :wink:

brookledge
02-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Fill up the container with grade B and take it back to them and you can get them to pay you for your syrup. As for who makes the national leading brand, I do!! As would alot of us say. Does the container list the ingredients? Alot of times places like Bascom's will put up syrup in private labels so they(other companies) don't have to package it
Keith

themapleking
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
On the other side of the jug it says.
(This product is pure maple syrup, totally natural, as nature provides it.)

Distributed by:
BJWC
1 Mercer road
Natick, MA 01760

Sounds like some big food bulk store like wal-mart.
Anyone ever buy real maple syrup from wal-mart. They lable it as grade A dark amber, but it looks and tastes like grade B or C.

syrupmaker
02-18-2005, 05:57 PM
They make it sounds like it will run smack dab into the bottle for consumption doesn't it.

Rick

nhmaple48
02-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Could this stand for BJ's warehouse club???

brookledge
02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I believe nhmaple you are right. I know I've seen that brand at BJs so it must be there actual name.
Keith

themapleking
02-18-2005, 08:32 PM
If your right and it's BJ club. Than it's realy funny because they got busted last year for selling miss labeled syrup.

mapleman3
02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
watch Trader Joes also, they got busted here in Ma. selling canadian .. way off grade .... nothing against Canadas product at all, just the packers selling mis labled syrup

Ted
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
If your right and it's BJ club. Than it's realy funny because they got busted last year for selling miss labeled syrup.
Well that was news to me so I did a search... click here (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:x3N_0jfs24oJ:cbs4boston.com/nhnews/NH--MapleFine-en/resources_news_html+BJ%27s+Wholesale+Club+maple+sy rup&hl=en) for a cached version of an old article on the topic if anyone's interested.

brookledge
02-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Interesting. That is why it is up to the honest maple producer to keep an eye out for mislabeling. Another big mislabel that I look for is at restraunts. They like to use the word "maple" when they describe their menu but many times they don't use any pure maple syrup. Also a while back McDonalds started to promote their french toast sticks buy saying "the taste of maple syrup baked right in" when in fact there was no maple syrup in them only artificial flavoring. It is up to us to look for this and report it when you find it. The main thing is alot of the time the consumer does not know they are being had. When a consumer thinks they are getting real syrup and they are not and it taste bad they will never buy pure maple syrup again.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Try this test- Bottle up some Mid or Low Dark Amber Syrup in a Non-XL plastic container and let it set on the shelf for say 9 months or so and see what you got when you open it up? What happens? Most should know the answer.

nhmaple48
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Thats why I don't put syrup in a cholrox jug. Still use tin. I've never had anyone say,"Gee, we wish you'd use plastic". But I have had people say"Don't stop useing tin".