PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer Question

Grizz747
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, I received my new pan from Andy Wegner and it looks great. It has 2 one quarter inch thermometer ports in opposite corners. Do they make special Thermometers and fittings ? What is the process for putting them together? Teflon tape, fittings etc. Do I need 2?
Thanks

Grade "A"
01-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I received my new pan from Andy Wegner and it looks great. It has 2 one quarter inch thermometer ports in opposite corners. Do they make special Thermometers and fittings ? What is the process for putting them together? Teflon tape, fittings etc. Do I need 2?
Thanks

Most of the time the thermometers from a dealer has 1/4" thread on it. I switched mine from side to side, no fittings needed. You can put a 1/4" pug in the other hole if syrup splashes out. I never used teflon tap because the hole was above the syrup level.

kinalfarm
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
hey i just put one in my new pans i bought a leader for about $50 and it threads in to that 1/4''npt threaded adapter or some call it a half coupling that is welded in your pan. i used about 4 wraps of teflon. i didnt think that pipe dope would be good to use. no other adapters are need it just screws right in.

farmall h
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Grizz, if your pan is new it should have two 1/4" plugs installed near your draw-off. You should be able to screw in a dial thermometer. Be sure to follow the calibration instructions given for the thermometer before you install it. Also, be sure not to screw in holding the dial...use a wrench and tighten lightly.

Shoudn't need teflon tape...the threads will seal themselves once you start making syrup. Besides...you will want to switch draw-off sides half way through the season.

Grizz747
01-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Great, I am going to get a thermometer this week. I have my block arch almost complete and I am getting ready.

johnallin
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Check with Dave at Richard's in Chardon, he should have them in stock. I installed one on my half pint and it worked great, horizontally through the side about 3/8" off the bottom of the pan right next to the draw off.

It was the round dial style that you adjust for water's boiling point on a daily basis - real accurate and helped lots to determine when to begin to draw off. Still need to use a hydrometer though - the termo will tell you it's time - but the hydrometer will tell you not yet! Just pour the "syrup" back in and wait for a ½° or so rise in temp and try again. Stay on your toes here though because you will be really close to buying the farm if you get distracted.

Grizz747
01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I am headed to Richard's this weekend to get a thermometer and archboard. John, do you know if they carry archboard?

Smitty
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Grizz747,
i use the thermo set off boiling point (have to recalibrate every day), it
screws right in (i believe it is the 9" stem). When i reverse flow, change
the thremo with the 1/4 pipe plug on the other side (teflon or pipe dope
not needed). I do not use a hydrometer, draw off at 5.5-6 deg. above
water boiling point, move to my finisher, cook till refractometer tells me
yes, wright now.:)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Grizz747,
i use the thermo set off boiling point (have to recalibrate every day), it
screws right in (i believe it is the 9" stem). When i reverse flow, change
the thremo with the 1/4 pipe plug on the other side (teflon or pipe dope
not needed). I do not use a hydrometer, draw off at 5.5-6 deg. above
water boiling point, move to my finisher, cook till refractometer tells me
yes, wright now.:)

If you are doing it this way, no need to recalibrate thermometers. I calibrated both of mine 7 seasons ago and haven't touched them since. They will be close every day so unless you are finishing on the evaporator, to me I think it is a waste of time and energy recalibrating them. If you want, check them first boil of the season with the raw sap in the front pan when it starts boiling and go from there.

3rdgen.maple
01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Grizz before you run out and buy a thermometer take a good look at the fitting for it. If it sits parallel with the bottom of the pan any length will work but if that port is angled you will need to measure to get the right length stem. Follow the angle and don't measure right to the bottom of the pan. You want it to sit off the bottom a little. It would really such if you had to go back and get a replacement cause it was the wrong length.

johnallin
01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Grizz,
Call Dave, he does not carry it normally but was talking about bringing some in when I saw him last weekend. Don't call in early afternoon - he takes a nap!!

BryanEx
03-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I know a proper dial thermometer can take the heat... but what about steam? I've blown through a bunch of "professional quality" thermometers that were supposed to stand up to water, moisture, heat, etc and was thinking of trying a dial next. The issue is that I run steam pans so the dial would be sitting directly above the pan continuously exposed to steam. Will the dial develop condensation inside the lens or are they sealed enough to stand up in that kind of environment? If I could find one that would sit over the tray it would improve safety tremendously when trying to finish as opposed to a hand held version and an oven mitt.

johnallin
03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Pretty sure they do and you can buy a clip to hold it in place above the pan if you don't have a port in the side.

Mine is sold by leader and states on the dial "for Maple syrup production only". About $60-70 but it will last.