PDA

View Full Version : evaporator hoods

sap runner
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Building a hood for a 2x6 small bros and was wonderiing on pipe that mounts to the top,do you want it to telescope inside or outside the main stack.I am using a 14" stainless for this.Last year I had a 2x5 flatpan setup with 7" and to say that was to small for a trial run with water would be an understatment.could not see anything in the cook shack,however I did get rid of a cold,lotza steam.lol

'

Bucket Head
01-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Saprunner,

Will you have a condensation catch tray for a preheater in the hood underneath the stack? If so, I'm thinking you would want the main stack pipe to fit inside the pipe fastened to the hood. That way condensation from the pipe running down will be caught by the tray. You don't want to boil the same water twice!

If you put it the other way, the condensate water will collect on the top of the hood and eventually run down the sides of the hood.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder about the amount of condensate in a steam stack. I dont get any. I have a low profile hood out of aluminum and a 14" stack and its hot to the touch. I think when the steam stack goes out past the roof and cold air cools the pipe that is when you get the dripping. My stack goes out into a coupla and so when I want to remove the hood I just push the pipe up a few feet hold with a bunji and then remove the hood. Keep it simple

markct
01-24-2010, 07:39 PM
i know my stack condensates alot, but it may be cause it goes out thru the roof not just up to the cupola

sap runner
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
also, forgot to ask how high is everyones steam pipe,some say you cant get it to high others just so it clears the roof.shorter pipe less condensation?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
As long as it is where it will draft, it is fine. Don't need to be a certain length, just clear the roof line. I have a 11" center mount steam roof jack and my steam stack is 10" and the top of the steam stack is about 1" above the roof jack during season. During the off season, I raise the hood up a few few and the steam stack slides right up inside the roof jack, thus a big advantage to getting a roof jack slightly bigger than your steam stack.

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
mine sticks out the bottom of the Coupla 3" all you need to do is clear the bldg.