PDA

View Full Version : sap ladder question

maple flats
01-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Just planning ahead for hopefully next year, but when I add Vacuum I have a section I can add with maybe up to 100 more taps in one section. How high can a sap ladder lift and should you get there by 5' lifts or some other number. Also, on different lines can you lift that far again or is there a realistic max regardless of how many lines you run from a properly sized vac pump? I ask because a quick look without my sight level looks like I can get close to that 100 number if I can lift close to 20'. Just guessing, but I will check with the level soon. My set up now is gravity but I designed it for a wet/dry system. The wet is there now and only side lines enter the main at the first half of a double manifold. The upper dry line will be added when I get the vac. Right now this system has 350 taps but I can add about 75-100 without needing a sap ladder and then another 100 maybe with a sap ladder if my elevation guesses are correct.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Dave,
A ladder could lift 20 feet if you were running vacuum levels of 22 or more inches. The lift could be in one stage or several stages. I prefer smaller stages. In theory you could lift it an unlimited number of times but friction and small leaks will eventually stop you in reality. I have one area where I raise some taps 26 feet but it is in a series of ladders (5 I think) that are about 6 or 7 feet each. Good luck!