PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Arch Panels

Jim Schumacher
01-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Any problem with aluminum panels for a 3'x8' arch? I have a ton of aluminum diamond plate that would look great as panels, but don't want any surprises when I fire it up. Thanks

Bucket Head
01-23-2010, 06:54 PM
It would work as long as you had sufficient insulation. Some guys claim they can put their hand on the side of their arch. Figure out how their arch is insulated and do it that way.

Post some pictures of it when your done!

Steve

vtsnowedin
01-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Any problem with aluminum panels for a 3'x8' arch? I have a ton of aluminum diamond plate that would look great as panels, but don't want any surprises when I fire it up. Thanks
Aluminum melts at 1221 deg. F Sheet steel would be safer.

markct
01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
i can touch the side of my evap briefly when boiling, i have thin firebrick in the firebox with 1 inch insulation board behind it, and 1 1/2 inch ceramic blanket in the back part. i wouldnt be affraid to use aluminum if ya had it already and as long as you planned to insulate it well, sure would look interesting in diamond plate!

Haynes Forest Products
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
What temp does high heat paint burn? My oil rig doesnt get that hot with only blanket. you would have to have one heck of a fire going to melt Alum thru the fire brick and arch board.

Brent
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
not one builder in the world uses aluminum.

KenWP
01-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Aluminium also would corode real fast when it get's splashed with sap and syrup and beer.

RileySugarbush
01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Aluminum expands with temperature twice as much as steel! You may get some creaking and groaning from the arch as it warms up if you have a steel frame and aluminum panels

Brent
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
that's a real good point John makes

You may need to drill all the holes oversize and lock the bolts in place with 2 nuts, leaving the bolt only just snug. That would let the plates move around without stressing anything.