PDA

View Full Version : My Insulation Plan - Please Tell Me What You Think

bussell
01-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I plan to insulate the inside and outside of my arch with 1" Thermal Ceramics Superwool 607 blanket. Its rated up to 2000 or so degrees F. Its also supposed to be soluble in body fluids (so its safer if you inhale it). I plan to also layer the inside of my arch (after the blanket) with fire brick.

Overkill? What do you guys think?

Bucket Head
01-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Insulation on both the inside and outside? If you feel you need two layers why not put both inside? I really don't think you need two. I have blanket type insulation, one layer, on the inside of my arch and then I have 1/2 firebricks lining the firebox. I'm pretty happy with the performance of that set-up. Maybe some others will chime in with how they installed their blanket.

Steve

Turtlecreek
01-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I used 1/2 inch blanket with 1/2 bricks. When I did my test fire the other week I had it going at full boil and I could put my hand on the outside of the arch with a little discomfort. My arch is a 55 gallon drum. I would think that that much insulation would be over kill.

bussell
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I ended up using a combination of 2" Roxul mineral wool and red brick. Please take a look at the pictures (see the link in my signature file) and tell me what you guys think.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I used 1/2 inch blanket with 1/2 bricks. When I did my test fire the other week I had it going at full boil and I could put my hand on the outside of the arch with a little discomfort. My arch is a 55 gallon drum. I would think that that much insulation would be over kill.

Test boil and boiling for 5 to 10 hours is totally different. Run it for a few hours and you probably won't be able to touch it. If you had 1" blanket and full size fire bricks you still might be able to touch it, but not likely with 1/2" insulation and 1/2 size firebrick.

Mud Island Maple
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I have wondered if arch doors can be insulated. The doors on my Patrick Phaneuf 2 x 6 get pretty red sometimes and it seems like a lot of heat is lost out the front of the arch. Any ideas on this would be welcome.

KenWP
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
You weld studs to the door or drill holes and bolt stand outs and insulate with tin on the inside to protect the blanket. Several peiople here have done it that way.