PDA

View Full Version : Bricking raised flue

backyardsugarer
01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a new 2 by 8 raised flu. There is a stainless baffle mid way through the back of the arch that needs to be bricked. There are small channels (Openings) on each side of it. If I am using the half bricks there will be a gap on the sides. Full bricks will allow for no gap. I can see that I would want to deflect all of the heat up but shouldn't half bricks be used under the rails so the heat can get to the pan? Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

Haynes Forest Products
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Sounds like the channel/void is there so you can put a whole brick in place. When you put in a full brick does it extend out into the arch area past the rail. If it does how much of the edge of the pan does it block/cover. Plus with the thickness of the metal rail and pan gasket will there be enough room for heat to get in to the edge? I dont think a 1/4" is anything to worry about.

backyardsugarer
01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
With the board and full bricks it comes out past the rail at good inch with full bricks so I have been going with the half bricks on the tops.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Stuff the crack tight with some ceramic blanket and use half brick.

Haynes Forest Products
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Remember to that alot of arches were designed before arch board or blanket. sounds like a good fix.

backyardsugarer
01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Got it done and I am very happy with the way it looks. Used arch board, ceramic blanket and bricks. FIlled in every crack with refactory cement so I should get the most out of my wood. Test boil by next weekend.

Chris